Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee troubleshooting

Well,I've taken my banshee on its maiden voyage to the dunes since I completely built it from scratch.(motor was semi complete)It has a shiny new port job,and will easily walk away from a piped banshee,but a problem has surfaced.When that sucker gets hot ,it starts missing and like a random pinging or backfiring noise starts up,especiallly at mid rpm's.I have to almost gun it to take off.And also,it has very little pep until on the pipe.Can somebody help me out...

Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

did you jet after you polished you should also run high octane gas and you can put water in the radiator to help cool it down just make sure to drain the water and put anti freeze in it during the winter

Old 09-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Storj
did you jet after you polished you should also run high octane gas and you can put water in the radiator to help cool it down just make sure to drain the water and put anti freeze in it during the winter
I put a 310 main jet like the porter recommended,he didn't say anything about any other jets,and my needle is 3rd clip from top.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

i forgot you can also try engine ice from what i hear it is great

Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

could be detonation from running to low of octane.What is the compression?

Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Compression should be stock.It only runs like this when it gets hot.Ive currently got my needles on 3rd from top.Maybe it's leaningout,cause it goesfrom cutting out at1/2 to3/4 throttle to a real strong top end.If I shift even a little too soon,it'll bog. Could it be pinging from getting hot?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Range Rover

I do not know your elevation but I will tell you what I have done with mine at my elevation of 2000ft above sea level. My Banshee ran like a dog after I put on my Toomey T-5 pipes. Top end was wicked but bottom was non existent and mid was really soft. I changed to a 30 pilot jet(stock is 25). Bottom end is great now. I also had custom needles made but you could get away with the stock needles and have them on the middle clip. I run 280 main jets. I am not ported but I do run a mix gas of 91 octane and 110 octane mixed 50%. I also have 21cc domes in my coolhead so my compression is higher than stock. Hope this helps.

As for the heat, I have noticed that all three of my Banshees liked to puke coolant all over my pipes after a good hard run. This newest banshee I have has an inline cooler, the coolhead, and the billet pro design impellar. It has not puked since so those items do help in cooling but I do not know which one works the best. I installed them at the same time.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Do you think that my 3rd needle clip position could be putting me lean and making it run hot enough to start pinging?

Old 09-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

The pinging makes me think more of a predetonation. Have you advanced the timing at the stator at all?

Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Ignition trouble is very likely .....................

Quick Reply: Banshee troubleshooting