Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trying to decide between a Kodiak 450 and Brute Force 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between a Kodiak 450 and Brute Force 650

This post started out in the Kawasaki forums but has now made its way over here since I am now contemplating a Kodiak 450. Please read on.

I test drove the Brute Force 650 yesterday and here are my thoughts:

The power is awesome and the engine is very smooth. I was disappointed in the testing area because it was a very small wooded loop right behind the dealer, but hey I shouldn't complain since there are hardly any dealers where I live that will let you test drive any motorcyles. I didn't look at the speedometer because I was concentrating on the trail but I know I didn't even break 10 mph. One area of the loop had a pretty sharp hairpin turn and the Brute whipped its tail end right around without flinching (thanks to the SRA). This totally makes you forget that you're on such a big machine.

On Friday, I sat on both a Vinson and Kodiak 450. Personally, I didn't care much for the Suzuki. It didn't do anything for me. That's not to say that it doesn't ride nice but I won't have that chance. I honestly liked the smaller size of the Kodiak even though I'm a relatively big guy at 6'2" and 225lbs. The Yamaha also felt like a tank and very solidly built. I also understand that the belt-drive systems on Yamahas are bulletproof.

I think I've accepted the fact that there is not a utility quad out there with manual shift that I'm going to be happy with. So, that's it for the Suzuki. Now I'm left between the BF650 and Kodiak 450. The questions are whether the Kodiak has enough power/speed for me and whether I will like the IRS handling characteristsics and also whether I can get a good deal on it. Currently, I can get a better deal on the BF by about $400. I will have to call a few Yamaha dealers on Tuesday to find out prices. I think most people would agree that the BF650 is a much better deal over the Kodiak. I don't know, maybe I should just get the Brute and learn to adapt to its large size. Just for clarification, the mere size of the Brute doesn't intimidate me. I just remember that some of the trails I rode on last weekend were barely wide enough for the narrower Wolverine I was riding. The Brute would be clearing more space for other quads. (Not that this is a bad thing). Also, I have a Toyota pickup truck and whatever I get has to fit in the bed. I think both the Brute and the Kodiak will fit but the Brute will be a much tighter fit. Well, I think I will know more by next week. Can anyone here vouch for the Kodiak and would you pick it over a BF650 especially if the BF can be had for less money?? I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

Your a big guy the brute would fit you well but the size of your pocket it sgoin to have 2 b big but the kodiack has tons of power my friend has one and it rips it up...the thing has alot of torque but if you wanna spend the extra money and go with the bigger kodiack(my persepctive of the Bf650) then go for it they are both good wuad good luck

Old 09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

less money for a more CC quad...i would deff. get the brute. $400 you can put on tires, or a winch, pipe, etc.. go with the brute

Old 09-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I say go with the brute. It's mostly the same machine as the older prairie 650 it replaced, which has an awsome record for it's reliability and cababities, and has better suspension if you're planning on doing any sport or rough trail riding with it.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

I thought the brute forces had IRS. Is it just the 750? In any case, at least the bf750 is widely known for it's excessively high center of gravity and crappy high speed handling. If the 650 has SRA, that could obviously be different... Even still, if I were you, I'd try to find a leftover new prairie700, forget the brute force.

I have both a modded prairie 650 and a 05 kodiak 450. They are two totally different animals, and you need to decide what type of riding you do the most of to determine which quad is best for you. . For high speed sporty type riding, the kodiak is very limited. What you give up in handling however, you make up in ride. For slow, rocky, or technical rides, the kodiak feels like a caddilac compared to the prairie. The prairie due to it's sra really is a ton more stable around turns, especially on off-camber trails. It's also way bigger, and a ton more physical work to muscle it around. The kodiak feels like a little feather, and is really easy to whip around. They both have their pluses and minuses for sure.

I will say that vtwins have notoriously been cold blooded and while they will start, they aren't always happy to when it's cold. The kodiak fires up with zero throttle input, just hit the button any time of year and it instantly fires up.

If the BF is like a prairie, it has the wonderful wet sealed brake system, which totally dominates the yamaha rear brake (prone to squealing on late model k450's, see 15 page thread). It also may have the same crappy belt drive as the prairie, with slipping squealing belts etc.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I gotta agree with liteman...if you want to go fast down the trails, the kodiak will do it, but it takes concetration and some skill, they arent the most stable feeling quad. Its not gonna top out like the kawi, but thats due to the cc difference.

The biggest difference for me would be the kawi vs yami belt system. The belt system on the kawi is alot like the polaris, for slow going you must use low, its optional on the yami. The yami belt is always engaged and the proper tension, the belt wont slip or burn, unless it gets wet.

The engine braking is very reliable, and is just a sprague clutch, its not the gadgety kebc stuff.

The diff lock is another big difference. The kawi can be applied instantly, any time . The yami needs to stop, and engage, but the upside is, the yami can stay engaged, all by it self, but the kawi you need to hold the lever in. Bith work very good, its just how they are selected.

Im happy with the kodiaks power and motor tranny combo...i just wish it wasnt so tippy feeling when riding hard. But for slow going, its hard to beat.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Good points. To me the only downside of the prairie is it's big size compared to the kodiak, and the belt drive. With that said, the belt drive system isn't bad on kawasaki, it's just inconvenient. For example, I went 1600 miles on my prairie before changing the $60 belt...not bad at all in my book - but I use it properly and have the black secondary spring ( $20 mod that makes the belt life much longer). Therefore the main issue is inconvenience, when riding. The kodiak you can leave in high all the time and never worry about slipping/wearing the belt out. The prairie you must leave in low for speeds under 25-30, and if you plan on cruising or riding above those speeds for any length of time, you must stop and shift into high. I guess the diff lever trade off makes it kinda even though, as the kawasaki is worlds better - as posted you can just grab the diff lever as you roll into a mudhole or something, instead of having to stop, switch over the little lever, and then push the button. Being that diff lock makes steering nearly impossible, I don't see the ability to leave it on as much of an advantage - since you'll use it in short bursts only... Permanent diff lock would only be good for those idiots doing the highlifter mud races..LOL

I will tell you that if it were my only quad, I would not be happy with the kodiak. I bought it for friends/family/chicks so I wouldn't have to ride double all the time. For me, who likes to get a little sporty and ride HARD sometimes, it's just not enough power. I love being able to RIP up steep hills, not just make it adequately. The v-twin has massive power, especially with a few mods.

I would highly recommend a prairie 700 over a bf650 if the 650bf shares the same big body and IRS with it's 750 big brother..

The kaw engine braking may be more tricky, although it works better. When I was out at hatfield mccoy two weekends ago, I tried swapping quads with my g/f and rode the kodiak down some of the hills. While the braking was effective, the quad just isn't heavy enough to really stay planted and use that braking...it just wants to slip and slide down if it's anything but dry/solid trail. The prairie really has a stability advantage.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good explanation lightman. So basically, if you use low gear as advised by lightman, the bf will do great.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I wouldn't say what I'm saying is nearly that simple though. If you use low gear and the brute force is still the huge topheavy machine with IRS that the BF 750 is, forget it, it is less sporty than a kodiak. The bf750 is a straight line drag racer/mudder. Ocaptain, find yourself a prairie if you want to rip up the trails, and get a kodiak if you want the cadillac cruising and easy to whip around ability....like I said in my first post, the number 1 thing you need to do is to decide what type of riding you want to do! Either one will be fun, but they are different machines.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know what IRS is, but the bf650 is mostly the same machine mechnically as the prairie 650 it replaced, so if the prairie 650 had IRS so does the bf650

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between a Kodiak 450 and Brute Force 650