Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

dealer mess up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer mess up

ok i bought my 05 raptor i loaded it in my truck and headed to work from the dealer i work weekend graveyard i never unloaded it from the truck i fired it up and notice some excesive noice so i killed it i checked the oil there is almost no oil on the dipstick its about 1/16 of a inch on the tip litteraly almost none its suposed to go up a inch and a half the coolant is low too what would you do in this situation i want to go back to the dealer yelling but there not open till tuesday i have a riding trip monday do i oil it up and ride or wait till there open and yell my *** off i am so furius i just paid 6700$ for this and it could have blown up if i didnt check the oil and rode it what would you do and what would you tell the dealer

Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default dealer mess up

i'd fill the fluids to where they shoud be, then fire it up. if it still makes the noises then i wouldn't ride it until the dealer looks at it. Did you buy it new or used?

Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default dealer mess up

I'd wait and bring it to the dealer, it says in ur name that you have a kx250 just use that on monday, better safe then sorry eh

Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default dealer mess up

How long did you run it? My V has an oil light, was the oil light on? If you ran it for more than about 1 minute, with "no" oil I would let them keep the quad. All bearings with "no" oil for over a minute ='s a bad deal.
If the oil light did not come on that means you had oil pressure and all is ok. Weird it had some oil in it?
In any event I would get something in writing from the "owner" stating that in an oil related failure you will get a new quad/engine.
A buddy had the same thing happen to him with a brand new Dodge diesel!!!!

Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default dealer mess up

i would take it back, thats b.s....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Range Rover
Default dealer mess up

Dont fill it up take back to those CROOKS and give em hell that is ridiculous NO Oil are you kidding me are they really that stupid...post again to tell us what you did

Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default dealer mess up

i am waiting for some one to call me i left messages and no one has called me back so we will see if i am gonna go down there and kill some one or something i ended filling it up but i took a video of it and the coolant leak

Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default dealer mess up

Bet you got charged a nice setup fee too didn't you? So what did they do if they didn't top off the fluids?

/Jon

Old 09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dealer mess up

Can't remember the specifics about the Raptor, but as I recall, it is a dry sump engine with an external oil tank, right??? And, you check the oil level on the tank???

Be carefull about overfilling a dry sump engine! In dry sumps, the oil has a thousand places to hide. The engine needs to run a while to drain all those places, and get the oil pumped back into the tank. I would bet that you shut it off so quick that it never got to refill the tank. If you had any oil on the dipstick at all, I would say you are OK. Remember, that oil level is the TANK, not the crankcase. Even if the oil is low in the tank, the crankcase should be full (probably overfull), and the bearings covered.

My buddy made this mistake with his wifes 400EX. He started the engine after is sat for a long time (like the owners manual tells you to do), but didn't give it enough time to get all the oil back into the tank. He thought the oil was low, so he refilled it. Of course when he started it up, there was nowhere for all that extra oil to go, so the pressure blew the lines off and he had oil all over the place. Luckily it blew before we took off for the ride, and I saw the huge puddle under her machine. Had she taken off, we would have never seen it, and the engine would have been toast!