Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Grizzly 600 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Grizzly 600 won't start

I can't get the grizzly to start. I won't take it in cause the last time it cost me $450.00 and they didn't fix the problem. When I turn it over it wants to start. It has gas, it sounds like it's getting enough spark, the battery checks out good. I'm thinking the gas line is plugged up. Is there a (sort of) easy way to get at the gas line? Or if any of you think it might be something else let me know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
kfirish

Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Check for spark...by pulling the spark plug out of the motor, hooking up the wire, and grounding the body of the spark plug to the motor. Now spin over the motor with the key on...spark should be visiable.

Have you tried using 1/4 throttle when cranking? Its posible the idle jet is plugged, and by using 1/4 throttle the idle circuit is bypassed.

Open the drain on the bottom of the float bowl of the carb...if gas comes out, you can assume the gas is making it to the motor.

If the gas situation and the spark looks ok...check the valve adjustment, if the intake valve is too tight...it will be hard to start.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having starting problems with my Grizzly as well. Mine is a 2001 and will crank and crank and crank plenty fast, but will not start. When I pull it by hand (ouch) it starts right up immediately. What is going on????? I just replaced the battery, and found out it didn't need it replaced.

Thanks,

Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jsflagstad
I am having starting problems with my Grizzly as well. Mine is a 2001 and will crank and crank and crank plenty fast, but will not start. When I pull it by hand (ouch) it starts right up immediately. What is going on????? I just replaced the battery, and found out it didn't need it replaced.

Thanks,
I would say that the ignition system (not the starting system), is not getting enough voltage (either positine or negative) when you use the starter. Pull the plug and check for proper spark when you use the starter. No spark=ignition system problem.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

My dad has a 2001 grizzely 600 and had the same problem. his fix to the problem was cleaning out the carb. and a local repair shop gave us a bigger jet to put in for a couple of bucks. but first i would change the spark plug just to make sure its not fouled.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

my '05 Grizz has been a Bear (no pun intended) to start since it was new in cold weather,,,,once i get it started its fine

2 things have helped mine in the cold weather months,,,,get a battery tender,,,,and when it gets real cold when i know im going to ride the next day like on the weekend,,,,i'll hook up a block heater the night before to keep the engine cozy,,,it helps alot

most Grizzlys hibernate during the winter months,so they can get a little grumpy when you try to wake them up

Old 12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have replaced the battery, cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the spark plug and it still doesn't want to start with the starter. It makes no difference if it is cold or warm weather either. I was up deer hunting with it in near 0 deg temps and it pull started right off the bat. I have always run fully synthetic oil in it and that sure makes it pull over easier in the cold temps, also I had a buddy that had a Grizzly that always blew crank seals in cold weather until he switched to synthetic oil.

I noticed that my oil level had come up quite a bit from flooding it while trying to get it started, so I changed that as well.

One thing that I have found that is rather interesting, is when cranking it with the starter, sometimes it will start right when you let off of the starter button. I remember when some of the old Chrysler cars did this, it was due to a bad ballast resistor. I dont think the Grizzly has a ballast resistor, but could it have something similar?

Any Ideas? I am wondering if the starter is drawing too much and not leaving enough for the CDI?

JSF

Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youre probably on to something there. Hook up a voltmeter, accross the battery, and watch the voltage as you crank. If it drops below 10 volts, theres an electrical problem.( Battery bad, starter resistance too low)

I sent a pm.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Still having this issue with my Grizzly 600. Yesterday I was heading down the driveway and all of a sudden, I got a couple of pops an it shut right off. I plowed snow with it all winter and never had that happen, although I always needed to pull start it all winter as although it cranks fine and fast, it usually will not start using the starter unless the engine is warm.

After it stalled, it would only fire with the choke fully on. It then would learch forward and shut off. I did this a couple of times, and then finally it just started up and I drove it back up to the shop. I did smell gas when I was attempting to get it started, almost as if it were flooded.

This thing is puzzling me. Any more ideas? Any good way to test a CDI, and/or the pick up coil? Who makes the best service manual out there? This thing only has 1200 miles on it but I suppose it is time to purchase a good manual.

Thanks,

JSF

Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

About the only way to test the cdi is to put it into a known good running grizz and see if it works.
The popping and shutting off, and wont run unless on choke....sounds like a plugged pilot jet, in the carb.
In the service manual, theres a procedure for checking the starting system, i sent a pm.
Did you check to see how much the voltage drops, when the motor is cranking?

Quick Reply: 2001 Grizzly 600 won't start