Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best way to lock my Raptor up in my garage....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything that has been said is right, don't just block th erear axle, 4 guys can lift a raptor(and one alone can do it with a jack). Fix it with an antitheft chain to a part that will not move (if you have like a big cement block(3x3feet)..that's great). The best anti theft though is being careful not to show too much that you have a brand new Craptor in your garage (but if it has been done, it's already too late), be sure that all doors that your ATV can go through are closed (I liked the story of the scrambler(?) left on his side because it didn't go through the door)...my personal anti theft is maybe 100% sure. A big dog. It isn't an agressive dog (who has seen an agressive labrador?), but he's tall, black, and has a certain sense of property (he'll bark if a stranger commes near the house...the guy that delivers the newspaper throws it to the house instead of dropping in front of the garage door like all other houses...hehe). I'd bet that if someone came into the garage...he would go away quite rapidly...no way he would cut a chain in front of my dog.
You know what? I love my dog!

Old 10-23-2000, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Our garage when it was built, the concrete has a 4 ft long steel tube laying horizontal 1 foot under it, a 20 ft. log chain was run through it there is approximately 8 foot of chain on either side that comes up through the concrete, we take each piece and can chain each quad individually, and there is enough to chain 4 quads if needed, usually chain through the A-arms or the front of the frame, also if we are camping we use the lock on the rotor thing that some one mentioned. Also you can place a long adjustable length lock ( the ones where the extra length can pass through the bottom of the lock)and lock it over your handlebar and front brake lever as a brake lock.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

hi raptorrules
i have a 250r stolen.
sence the i put up a chainlink fence and motion light and got a rotti.he dose not like strangers.
i have full coverage on my raptor.
it is locked in a wooden shed with 2 locks on the door and a 1 inch cable through the frame of the shed through the frame of the bike.
sorry it came out twice.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

hi raptorrules
i have a 250r stolen.
sence the i put up a chainlink fence and motion light and got a rotti.he dose not like strangers.
i have full coverage on my raptor.
it is locked in a wooden shed with 2 locks on the door and a 1 inch cable through the fram of the shed through the frame of the bike.

Old 10-23-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the kryptonite ladder rack from home depot. then get a big long eye bolt. drill a hole in the concrete and put the eye bolt in the ground. then use the ladder rack and lock the sprocket how gumby said and run the lock through the eye bolt
or you can put the eye bolt through a cinder block wall and lock it to that with a chain. the only way they can get that cut is with a torch. and if they do that i hope the bike blows up on them from the sparks from cutting the lock

Old 10-24-2000, 08:03 AM
Range Rover

Howdy everyone that replied to your post has alot of very good ideas, the only one they forgot is to disable the quad...take off the CDI and store it in a safe place...even if they manage to cut the lock or chain off it will be kinda hard to start it without the CDI...
BB

Old 10-24-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have one good idea!...if you have neighbours.
Get a motion sensitive light on your garage door. Those powerful halogen lights that lighten when you come a bit close. If there are houses close to yours, you can bet the thief won't appreciate.
Tell your neighbours (if you trust them...and if you have neighbours) that you're going away if they can check out if everything is OK. If they are cool, put a sound alarm on your machine, maybe they'll move if they hear it.

Old 10-24-2000, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Another idea. A bit weird this time.
Remember the guy that found is scrambler on the side?
There's an idea!
If you have some time (and if you're going away for some time...otherwise it won't be worth it), put your Craptor in your bedroom..or bathroom, or whatever with a small door.
Yeah, you'll have to take it all apart (A-arms and axle), carry it to a safe place and rebuild it but that would be safe. I can't imagine a thief taking apart your bike in your house for two hours, with tools and all the stuff!!
But again if you're going away 3 days, I don't think it's worth it (it's YOUR choice though).
BTW, who would look for a Craptor in the bathroom??????????

Old 10-24-2000, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a bunch of weights at the sporting goods store. You have to get the ones with the BIG hole in the middle. Then I run a Kryptonite (expensive!) quad chain (6'long) throuth the center of the weights, then up around the swing arm. Then I put the lock (Kryptonite) on the brake rotor, so the bike can't get rolled away while dragging the weights. Then, I chain all the bikes to each other. OR... I leave the bikes on the trailer, and I run a Kryptonite U-lock under the axel then through the holes in the wheels. The bikes are chained to the trailer, and neither the bikes or trailer are going anywhere. I just hope I don't lose any of those keys!! I do the same for the bicycles. The weights thing has saved my Mountain Bikes a couple of times.

Old 10-24-2000, 02:05 PM
Banned

Hi radgumby350,

Can you tell me what the name of your insurance company is? I'm in the process of finding a good insurance company.

Thanks,

IronBear

Quick Reply: Best way to lock my Raptor up in my garage....PLEASE HELP!!!!!