Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

broken piston skirt

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Rem
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken piston skirt

ok, so i took my blaster to glamis without paddles in april. all was great until a piece of the front piston skirt broke off. i think it mightve gone out the exhaust because it took out part of the ring on the exhaust side but im not sure, anyways ive tried as hard as i can to find any bits of piston but i cant. its an aluminum cast piston(i think), WSM is the brand. im wondering.. should i just get it bored to a 77mm and slap a new piston in there? i plan on selling it soon..

Old 09-11-2005, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt understand how the skirt would have gotten out of your exhaus port. the chamber for your exhasut port is on the top of the piston( i think is impossible if it broke off the skirt) my guess is its floating around in your bottom end somewhere, and if the piston is aluminum good luck fishing it out with a magnet.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done rebuilding my nephews blaster. The same thing happened but it came out the bottom of the case.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Range Rover

Just put a new piston\jug on a Husqvarna cut off saw at work yesterday. Same thing happened, had two chunks gone from the piston skirt with no sighn of them anywhere. Must have spit them out somehow, I even shook the muffler to see if it rattled and nothing. Ran like new after. Before I tore it down it still ran! Just had bad skirt chatter and would bog for about 10-20 seconds before fully revving out and backspray gas out of the intake. So I guess it's a mystery, Where do these pieces go?????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

In a 2 stroke, its not imposible to blow engine parts out the exhaust.
In the case of a piston skirt, the piece would first fall to the bottom of the air fuel mixture area under the piston.
ANYTHING that falls into that area can then be sucked up the transfer ports into the combustion chamber and blown out the exhaust.
It happens all the time.
I once pulled the top end on a LT500 and found a million little dents on the top of the piston.
After further inspection we found out the crank bearing races were deteriorating and being sucked up the transfer ports and being blown out the exhaust.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Rem
Pro Rider

the piston(wsm) i used had ports in the piston on the intake side, and the little piece that goes under the 2 ports is whats missing.

from what you guys have said, i think i am just going to get it bored out, and put a new piston in, the clyinder and head is already at the shop