Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor all Yamaha says it is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 Banshee's and a 250r and I was thinking of getting a Raptor, but with all the problems I see in the forum I don't think I'll every buy one. What are your opinions on the Raptor? Is it everything Yamaha says it is?

Old 10-23-2000, 12:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As you have already noticed in the forum, opinions vary greatly. It seems that almost everyone that has rode/owns a Raptor thinks is the best thing since sliced bread and everyone on the outside looking in thinks it is all hype. I assume that you have read my thoughts on the Raptor, so I recommend finding someone that already has one (maybe E-mail a fellow PA rider in this forum or if you wanna make a long trip to WV, you can ride mine) and test ride one for yourself.

Old 10-23-2000, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Timewass don't wast your money on the "raptor" as far as I'm concerned its not worth the money.
First off the machine cost seven grand.
second it only last 3 hous on a tank of gas thats not much if you like to trail ride and with gas prices the way they are now I would'nt dream of buying one.
Third if you like to ride it's going to cost you about 250 to 300 a month for payments on the machine. and then about 30 a month on gas. you can only run premium or better anything under screws with the jets.
I don't know about you but I can't afford that.
If you want an all around good machine buy a polaris scrambler. Mine could destroy a raptor (in mud) anyday.

LONG LIVE POLARIS

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 10-23-2000, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some people pay cash for their bikes and 30 bucks a month for gas to them is just pocket change. Have fun on the mud.

Old 10-23-2000, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well I can't say that I can afford it. Who can? But I'm not going to lean towards Polaris either. I like shifting. Can't get used to the automatics.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Timewass i can see what you are thinking about wanting to be safe with buying it because of the horror stories on here, but then again some people beat the crap out of them and break them others admit that they broke something on it by going a little too hard on it. I would personally wait until next years model, your other 3 quads can tide you over.

Old 10-23-2000, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

$250 to $300 a month??? That must have been one hell of an interest rate!
I can't say if the Raptor is all hype or not but with Banshee's, DS's & hopped up R's beating them they don't seem to be the end all quad that Yamaha had made them out to be. Give the Raptor another year or so, maybe Yamaha will work the bugs out.
On another note, I read or heard something that Kawasaki's new 650 utility quad was "turned down" before it's release because it was running about 75MPH. WOW!
Just think of that race Raptor vs Banshee vs DS vs Kawasaki 4X4 !

Old 10-23-2000, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

hi timewass
i own a raptor.
very comfortable to ride.
good trail machine climbs hills ok.
12 tooth sprocket should make it better.
you should try to ride one.
over all not a bad bike.
it is a thumper lots of power.

Old 10-23-2000, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

my Raptor does as good or better on gas than my 400EX. Most people that rider it fall in love with it. Never get a Polaris, they are useles!!

Old 10-23-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

timewass, I have a Banshee, Raptor and Polaris. What you will like depends on what kind of riding you like to do. In the sand, the Raptor does very well, but, I still prefer to ride the Banshee for thrills. For trails, the Raptor is geared too tall and a Honda 400ex may be the better machine. The Raptor is a very good all-around machine and it is fast. It jumps lots better than the Banshee. Where you ride and what you like to do on a quad should go into your decision.

Quick Reply: Is the Raptor all Yamaha says it is?