Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

anyone know of a clear coat that works on plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know of a clear coat that works on plastic?

thanx,cruudy,i never thought about that route,,,i think there's a RC shop in town (atleast there use to be),,,thanx again

Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Yea. I was thinking about trying that Krylon Fusion stuff. Did you clean the surface first with distilled alcohol? That is what they do for automotive autobody. Im wanting to repaint my plastics too. They are just faded and I sprayed carb cleaner on the front and rear left side on accident and they have white streaks down them now. LoL. What is a good paint to us on plastic that will withstand pressure washer? A guy down the street from me, I was going to buy his Warrior. He Repainted the plastics silver and they looked really sharp and he said it wasnt that hard to do and the paint stuck because I watched him spray it off. I might go talk to him tomorrow about it. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My cousin used krylon fusion on his suzuki quadracer and it looked good, but you have to be careful with it if you want it to stay in good shape. If you brush up against tree limbs or briars, roll it over, or scrape the plastic with your shoe when you're getting on or off you will probably chip some paint off of it. If you would just be using it in fields and dunes it would work good, but my cousin rides in the woods most of the time and he ended up repainting it 5 times within a few months. also the pressure washer will tear it up if you get too close to the paint, so you would probably have to wash it with a garden hose

Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

As cody said earlier, painting plastics is a PROCESS. It isn't just run down to Wally World, grab a can of Krylon and go. The proper paints, clears, etc. to do the job are only available to commercial body shops and they have the appropriate equipment to deal with it. Most of these paints, clears, etc. have some nasty VOC (volatile organic compounds) that need to be dealth with, less the EPA will be all over your @ss.

The key components in plastics painting is the prep work (sanding the pastics to get micro scratches), the adhession promoter (which acts like a primer) and the flexing agents added to the paint before it's sprayed.

If you want a good job, contact a local body shop that does a lot of work on newer cars with plastic bumper covers. Basically, it's the same process that they use. You can probably do some of the prep work like the initial sanding and cleaning. They will probably still want to clean again and go from there.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

the plastic spray paint is called krylon fusion, it still doesnt' stick to the atv plastic very good because it's kinda waxy, it will still come off if you hit it with a pressure washer, and it doesn't come in clearcoat anyways

think again bud! i used this stuff on my Grizzlys engine sidepanels that are exposed to alot of heat and flex all of the time and this stuff looks just like it did the day i sprayed them!....when i ride my knees are in constant contact with the paint and none had rubbed off yet....i cleaned it with rubbin alcohol and masked off what i wanted painted.....sprayed 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of Krylon Clearcoat (yes they do make it) and it's an amazing paint for plastics.....i love the stuff.....it WILL stick to plastics it just needs to be prepped PROPERLY....i've used alot of methods to clean it too.....powerwasher, sponge, scrub brush, garden hose, using purple power cleaner.....nothing has phased this stuff yet!!!....when i over heated my Grizz one day the side panels were soo hot that i had to wear gloves to take them off and when i grabbed them to pull them off the plastic was really really soft and flexed really badly.....STILL LOOKS GREAT!!!.....if the stuff hasn't worked out for you then you must not have prepped it good enough....plus the CLEAR COAT from Krylon really helps out......

by the way there's pics in my sig under "My Grizzly" album of them after i painted them last year.....there should be some recent pics close enough for you to see how well it's held up.....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I Did my research on painting and clear coating plastics

[QUOTE=HooPharted;1727928]thankyou very much for all of your input

guess i'll do a little more research before i decide exactly what to do,,,thanx again[clearcoated them with
Hello I just repainted all my plastics for my yfz 450. I light sanded all my plastic tell they fel. Rough. They I wiped them down with lacquer thinner And let them dry for 30 mins. They I painted them. After painting them I let them dry for 24 hours or longer. Then I wiped them down with damp rag and I clear coated them with Dupli-color Acrylic Lacquer Clearcoat( From all Riley's auto parts $5.21) I did one coat waited 15 mins then did coat 2 then waited 30 mins then did coat 3 with Krylon Fusion for plastics( $5.69) after doing this im waitng 3 or 4 days and will be buffing a little. They came out sweet but going to do test to see how they last and what they kind of beating they can take. Will keep updateding. But looks good so far.