Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help -- Blaster or Mojave? I leave for a ride in 7 days!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help -- Blaster or Mojave? I leave for a ride in 7 days!

My Honda 250X was stolen last week off my trailer in New Mexico. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] So now after 5 years of Honda reliability I am shopping.

I like Blasters. It looks like the brakes got fixed in 03, so that is a good year to start with. The Blaster is probably less expensive and more available. There are tons of performance parts (but I never modified my Honda). Ebay has tons of listings for parts. I thought I would prefer a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, but I am not sure.

Today I found a 2003 Mojave in a dealer show room, brand new. The sticker price is $3950. They pretty quickly offered to lower the price to $3800, which they claimed was their cost. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Since grade school I have always liked the Mojave, I am not sure exactly why. I have not ridden one, but the small size would fit on the trailer easy and do well in tight woods trails I like. I ride trails and dirt roads, no sand so far, and no mud.

Questions:
1. What is a reasonable price range to offer the dealer for a never sold, never titled 2003 Mojave? Will there be any warranty?
2. What is a price range for a 2003 Blaster, good condition, not modified?
3. Is one bike more reliable than the other?
4. Are both bikes about the same size? I am 6', but I like to sit "on" a bike not "in" it.
5. Which bike would be more fun? The Blaster looks great with 6 speeds and an easily modded two stroke motor, but the Kawasaki is DOHC and water cooled -- which is better?

For five more years of use, which way would you head?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

1-That isn't a good price on the mojave,because the brand new ones on there last year was $4099,so that being three years old you should be getting it for around $3000.Yes there should be a 6 month warranty.
2-You should be able to find a really nice blaster for around $2000.
3-There both about equal on reliability,they've been around for like 15 years.
4-The blaster is a little smaller than the mojave.I've seen plenty of people over 6 feet tall ride blasters with no problem.
5-Both are great atv's and will be a ton of fun.If it was me i would choose the mojave,because it has reverse and its GREEN.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].Of course i am a kawasaki fan.But both perform about the same in accleration and top speed.

You can get a brand new blaster for like $3200,so just go look at both,sit on them,and ride them if you can and make your decision.Either one you won't be dissappointed.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really like green, too. I am going tomorrow to sit on both of them and get the sales guy to invest some time. He admitted there are some more Mojaves at the store - they bought a store that had bought too many. I would have to think that when they bought this other store they did not pay top dollar for existing inventory. Their true cost must be 1/2 of what he said. If I could buy it for around $3k it should be a win-win.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

Could always try www.projectblaster.com. They sell green plastics, brand new, no scratches, for the Blaster. I love my Blaster, have a crazy time on it, and love it. Frankly, I have never driven a Mojave tho. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

With the blaster once you start modding it it looses its reliabilty quicker than if you mod the mojave(if that makes any sense). Greg at cycleworksracing.net gets his mojaves to run with the 450s so there are quite a few mods for the mojo.