Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got a Shee, need tuning advice. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a Shee, need tuning advice. Please help.

I just got me a 2002 Shee. It has FMF Fatty Gold series pipes and silencers, Boysen carbon reeds, boost bottle, and a slightly shaved head. I am not sure where to start on tuning this thing. right now it wont idle and you have to feather the throttle to keep it running. I then have to feather the throttle to full throttle to gain power and get on the pipe and keep it rapping up to keep it running. Any ideas on what I need to do? I dont think the guy overley new what he was doing with this thing. He said he was running 108 octane race fuel in it???? It was out of gas when I went and picked it up, I put in 2 gallons of premium gas mixed at 50:1. Does that sound right? It ran awesome once it was pipen, flat out ripped actually. What plugs are the best plogs to run in these?

Thank you for your help on this.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ohhhh

I SOOOO want to say something [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2005, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

First step is to do a plug chop. Run it through the gears at 3/4 throttle or so. Once in 4th or 5th hold it wide open for about 10 seconds. Stop the bike without too much idling and pull both spark plugs. Check to see if the plugs are too white (lean) or too dark (Rich). Does it still have the TORS system on the carbs? If it doesn't, check to make sure it has an idle kit installed (Usually brass screws directly in the sides of each carb).

What brand of oil did you mix at 50:1? I prefer to mix at 32:1 with a quality oil (Klotz R-50, Castor 927, Yamalube 2-R). Pre-Mix ratio WILL have an effect on jetting! I like to run the NGK BR8ES or BR9ES plug, either way.

Just from your description, it sound as though you are running lean. Your needles (if stock) should probably be in the middle or third from the top setting. Main's (stock carb) typically will be in the 300-340 range(I think 280 is stock). Good luck, hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

1st off, you better find out just how much compression you are running.
Stock compression is around 120 PSI.
I believe you can run close to 170 PSI on premium, but you will be pushing it at that high of a compression.
Anything over that and you will need to run race fuel.
Advancing the timing can also cause you to need to go up in octane if the compression was also bumped up.

As was mentioned, you need to do a couple of plug checks to see where your jetting is at using FRESH WHITE plugs!

Do a check at 1/2 throttle (tells you needle position), and one at full throttle (indicates correct main jet size). It is important to kill the motor while still holding the throttle in that position. Absolutely NO idling, or it can give you a false plug reading!

Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

OMG!!!
you probably scuffed up the pistons already,cauze the "new guy" probably
shaved the heads by a pro to use 108 octane fuel wich mean around 14.1
dome ratio,if you put premium 92 in it at 12.1 ratio,it just a matter of time to burn it down my 2 cents...