Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Flipped front wheels instead of using spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flipped front wheels instead of using spacers

I see a lot of pics of people who have turned the front wheels around on their 660r to give a wider stance. Has anyone done this? It dosen't look very safe

Old 10-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

I did it with a 99 Blaster. Helped the handling a bit. Does put some wear on the wheel bearings and seals, especially if you are jumping it a lot. Replaced them every year. But I couldn't turn them on my 2004 as the wheels would not clear the disc brakes

Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

ive had them flipped on my scrambler for 2 years now,no problems whats so ever.im still running the original bearings and they are good as new..id say flipping the wheels is safer than wheel spacers,ive seen wheels spacers break because of jumping..

Old 10-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

A fired of mine has done it on his 400cc suzuki I believe LTZ 400. no problems but still needs to flip his tires around to the correct direction.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I tried to do turn them around this morning to save me some movey on spacers, but the valve stems hit the brake. Oh well...thanks for the imput.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

mine also hit but not by much.i ended up grinding the caliper a little and now it clears,maybe you could do the same?

Old 10-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did't think about that. I'll give it a shot.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

IT doesn't mess up anything.. your bearings eventually will wear faster after maybe 100miles?

after 100 miles your tires will be shot lol

it works.. do it!!

Old 10-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, Im new to this site. I had a warrior and flipped both the rear and front wheels around. Provided much better handling (especially if you are a big guy like myself 6', 290#). Had the warrior for 4 years and never experienced any problems with bearings. Just keep them greased.

The way I flipped the front wheels was to order a set of recessed tire valves that are used for drag race cars and show cars. I cant remember what place I got them from (it was a performance car site) but it was only 12 dollars for a set of 4. The way they work is this...there is an insert that replaces the standard tire valve. This insert has a flat cap that can be taken off by unscrewing it with a nickle. There is a tire valve that then screws into place so you can put in air. I also trimmed a hole into the brake caliper protecter so I could access the tire valve and maintain the tire pressure.

This solution works great. If you have questions, shoot me an e-mail.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the way I did mine seems more convenient than grinding the calipers or the recessed stems. i pulled the old valve stems out, and put them in the wheel backwards so the valve was inside the rim. Then I drilled the proper size hole in the same spot on the other side of the rim(the side that used to be next to the brakes) and put spare valve stems in with the valve facing out. This way the valve stem will still be on the outside of the rim when you flip the wheels, and more convenient to access. So far the only side effects I noticed are the same as wheel spacers, more bump steer and softer front suspension, but the wheels have been flipped since I owned my warrior, about a year and a half, and the original bearings are still good and tight.

Quick Reply: Flipped front wheels instead of using spacers