Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Acetone to raise gas milliage in car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetone to raise gas milliage in car

How much were you using? His chart shows the benefits rapidly decreasing after 3oz per 10 gallons for gas
I used 10 to 15% depending on how much boost I was running at the time. In other words I put in 1 gallon per 10 gallons of gas. Oh by the way it was toluene that I used not acetone. Sorry if there was a confusion. They are both solvents.
If you use toluene, the smell will smell familiar. Quite a bit of race gas is made up of toluene.
Acetone only has around 13,000 BTU's / LB. You will LOOSE mileage if you use acetone. You can even burn straight acetone if you rejet. Just like alcohol, you will burn a lot more of this fuel than gasoline.
At least toluene has around 21,000 BTU's / LB. A couple of a thousand more than gasoline and you will see a slight mileage increase.
Be warned, any of these solvents are hard on rubber and some plastics. The higher % you go the more problems you will have if you have either in your fuel system.
Mix and match all you want but you will never see a 35% increase in mileage.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

see i knew they were hard on rubber and plastics.........and i'm sure there are rubber or plastic in your fuel system..........they are more powerful than fuel is.........

Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard about that but I ain't willing to chance it in a $40k+ truck.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
How much were you using? His chart shows the benefits rapidly decreasing after 3oz per 10 gallons for gas
I used 10 to 15% depending on how much boost I was running at the time. In other words I put in 1 gallon per 10 gallons of gas. Oh by the way it was toluene that I used not acetone. Sorry if there was a confusion. They are both solvents.
If you use toluene, the smell will smell familiar. Quite a bit of race gas is made up of toluene.
Acetone only has around 13,000 BTU's / LB. You will LOOSE mileage if you use acetone. You can even burn straight acetone if you rejet. Just like alcohol, you will burn a lot more of this fuel than gasoline.
At least toluene has around 21,000 BTU's / LB. A couple of a thousand more than gasoline and you will see a slight mileage increase.
Be warned, any of these solvents are hard on rubber and some plastics. The higher % you go the more problems you will have if you have either in your fuel system.
Just remeber that a $300.00 IMS gas tank is made of plastic and your fuel lines are rubber. I would'nt want that sitting around added with gas eating away at those parts. This topic has been around for a while and yes it will work but is not a replacement for other products. You can run motors on alot of fuel combinations just which ones are long term proven. If a company like a large oil manufacturer marketed it and said we will stand behind this product and warranty it to protect the consumer, then maybe...
I wouldn't try it in a $40,000 vehicle or a $7,000 quad either.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't do it with acetone. Recently from the Q&A section of americascarshow.com:

Question 33
(previous)(next)
I drive a truck between the hours of 8pm to 6am. Sometimes to make the time go by I listen to Art Bell or Gerge Nory. Some of the guests are entertaining to say the least. Last night he had guy on who claims you can get 25% to 35% more miles per gallon simply by adding 2 1/2 ounces of acetone for every 10 gallons gas. 1 1/2 ounces per 10 gallons of diesel. What do you think?

-milan from missoula

Milan,

Switch immediately to the day shift. If this isn't possible, then I suggest books on tape. Stay away from science fiction or self-help topics, it's for your own good.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Who knows if it works or not..... Until someone you know personally or you yourself tries it out keeping very good records of the results you won't know for sure. If i was going to ask any experts about this and expect some reasonable answers i wouldn't be asking a mechanic. I'd be asking a chemist. more suitably a chemist specializing in hydro-carbon research. And i bet that the opinions would differ depending on which chemist in the field you asked. Bottom line try it out on your own!

At a dilution of less than half a percent (3oz. to 10 gallons) it will not damage anything in your engine or fuel lines.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

The veggie oil diesel thing was on "Trucks!" a while ago. Pretty interesting, and fairly simple to process, but kinda messy. On free restaraunt throw away oil, you could make diesel for around a buck a gallon I think. You need to add lye and race methanol to get the proper chemical balance then it works like a charm.

Way back in the early 80's I worked at a paint manufacturer, and one of the chemists was a sportbike guy and used the toluene as an octane booster.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

if it worked though wouldnt it also boost hp from better fuel atomization and all the racers would use it?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

The BTU's don't matter, that's not how it works. Two to three OZ's per gallon is not enought to worry about the ammount of BTU's per LB involved. This works by helping to ease the surface tension of gasoline so it atomizes better... most people don't see huge gains but it did help my milage a little. I got like 18.5 MPG vs. 17.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

That's almost 10%

Quick Reply: Acetone to raise gas milliage in car