Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

400ex or Raptor ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a new quad and I need to know an owner's opinion about the Raptor. My cousin test drove it and he told me it was crazy fast but he also told me that it felt like the center of gravity was really high wich means it is really easy to flip. Honestly......I dont know what to think, a honda dealership let me test drive a 400ex and I think it handles really good and the power comes out really smooth. But the Yamaha dealership wont let me test-drive a Raptor so I need somebody's REAL opinion. I know I like the 400ex but I dont know if i like the raptor. As for now....I'll get back on my f~$ing banana(lt250r) and beat the crap out of it.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

If nobody answers, its probably because they dont believe in their own brand.....Seriously I need sombody's opinion.....maybe a test drive I give my local yamaha dealership a down thumb for not letting me test-drive a raptor. Doesn't it make sense that when you want to spend 7G's on something that you want to know how good it works???

PS: About the test drive I am not joking if a Raptor owner doesn't mind I'll test drive his machine. I live near Atlanta, Georgia by the way.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

well iam a raptor owner..and i must say the quad is incredible!!!...crisp power and lots of it handles great in the trails,jumps nicely....cant say enough bout it!!..the 400ex seems very weak after u ride a raptor !!!

99banshee
01raptor

Old 10-26-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

What about the center of gravity??? Does the quad tend to get on two wheels going fast in a sharp turn???

Old 10-26-2000, 06:21 AM
Trailblazer

jfboy.. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN!!! Raptor 660cc, 400ex 400cc? What do you think

Old 10-26-2000, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

Jfboy,

No question about handling and power, the Raptor rides awesome, power comes on fast and smooth handles great. I don’t know who started talking about this tipi stuff on the Raptor, no one that’s ridden one would call it tipi. The real question is can you wait and do you want to spend the extra money? I ride a lot in the dunes and needed the extra power, but if you mostly trail ride the Honda will probably do everything you need and more. Also I see your current ride is a 2-stroke, no 4-stroke rides like a 2 not even the Raptor, but the 400ex would be even worse(slow). I love the Raptor and for me it’s the perfect bike, but before you spend $7K I would try and get a test ride somewhere.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I want to get a test drive but where???

Also raptorguy......Atv's are not all about horsepower. I have a little analogy for you right here. I would rather have an integra gsr with 170hp that handles like a charm than an ***-wooping 260hp mustang that cant hold a curve. Get my meaning???
Now dont get me wrong, the raptor is probably a really good handling quad, but before I buy one I want to know that I like it....not that somebody else likes it.

Old 10-26-2000, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

jfboy,

Between my dad and I we own both of them. I frequently ride one get off and ride the other. I enjoy both also. The 400ex obviously has less power but handles differently. The Raptor carves a corner and doesn't like to slide on hard surfaces while the ex floats the rear nicely. Raptor has better stock shock settings and I don't think it feels tippy but it is easier to get on two wheels. It is going to come down to a personal choice. I like the power of the Raptor because I ride sand. The Raptor is a good bike and so is the 400ex.I just like to ride. Hope it helped some.

Good luck finding a ride,
Sandaddict

Old 10-26-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you're into handling more than sheer HP, get the 400EX. If you want a really fast, but still quiet bike, get the Raptor.

The Raptor is approx 2" more narrow (that's more narrow than a 300EX, and only 2.5" wider than a Blaster!) and approx 2" taller (seat height) than a 400EX, while at the same time having heavy items such as the radiator mounted high. This WILL make it 2 wheel more easily, and more of a handful in the corners (thus, slowing you down). I have witnessed it personally & talked with a couple of owners (privately). It also lacks rake on the front end, this will hurt in the woods and will add an additional fatigue factor. Especially bad on square edge bumps, roots, etc.

The rear shock sits at almost a horizontal angle with very little travel (range of motion), the linkage system gives it travel similar to a 400EX, but this is not a desirable setup and cannot be fixed without substantial chassis modification...

In other words, it will not handle with a 400EX or 250R (as has been shown in XC and MX racing so far).

Some folks say that the Raptor's stock suspension is more plush than a 400EX, but I don't think it will handle the jumps a 400EX will. Personal preference prevails here.

The Raptor has reverse, the 400EX does not.

The Stock Raptor turns out about 36-37 HP quietly, where a 400EX turns out about 26-28 HP quietly. The 400EX can be modified to the 38 HP range fairly easily, but you will probably need an aftermarket pipe (in combination with other parts) to do this (my 400 is probably around 33 or so HP thru the stock muffler - with the "other parts"). So, the 400EX is relatively "fast", but the Raptor is certainly faster.

Really, the only complaint I can come up with for the 400EX is that it's chassis is good enough that the power feels a bit weak once you have ridden it a while, easily taken care of though .

Honda has certainly been one upped in the power dept, but they are still the king of handling & chassis design. So it all depends on where you ride and what you are more interested it.

Old 10-26-2000, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a pretty good comparison, hopefully i will ride with a Raptor or 2 this weekend and will see how my friends like it in the woods, i mean how fast can you go on tight trails that are all filled with 2-3 foot high woops. I would like some info on your mods and how much you spent. I am very hesitant about getting an aftermarket pipe because of the noise. I will check on the E-group as well.

Quick Reply: 400ex or Raptor ???