Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ 450 owners/want

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 450 owners/want

If you own or was thinking about getting the YFZ 450, but changed your mind or have a hard time deciding because the new LTR 450 just came out with EFI, now you don't have to. I just recieved an e-mail from fullthrottlejunkies that they do sell EFI kits for the YFZ 450 for 1395.00 + shipping.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

1395 is alot of money for somthing u could get on a stock better bike (ltr-450) imo

im not to sure about the whole efi thing if it monfunctions its not like u could fix it on the spot with some tools am i rite

Old 10-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

keelam im start to wonder if you affraid that the yfz will get beat on the track now because of the ltr450, and half of the stuff you have said on here are unlikly to happen or the products arnt made for the quad.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

No I'm not wishing I would have got the Suzuki 450 instead of my YFZ 450. Sure it has fuel injection, but that alone isn't enough to make me switch. The fuel injection is supposed to self adjust for engine mods, but it doesn't adjust enough (at least on the Raptor), and you need to buy a separate computer tuning module if you don't want very mediocre gains from your mods. The carb on the YFZ is very easy to get to, and you don't even need to remove it to change jets or the needle position. We're talking 5 minutes to change a pilot jet or main jet, and perhaps 8 minutes to change the needle clip position. And we know how to tune a carb for fairly significant mods. Max Power Engines still uses the stock carb on their 60+ HP 523cc big bore stroker YFZs. Do you know if you are going to be able to utilize the stock fuel injections system on a Suzuki 450 if you go big with the motor?

I'm not all that convinced the Suzuki 450 will have better suspension or handling than the YFZ anyway, although I am sure that the magazines will rant and rave about how much better it is, because they always rave about anything new that comes out. Who cares what they say, we'll have to wait six months and see what real racers are saying before we can pass judgement on that one. And besides, even if I knew for a fact the Suzuki was marginally better, racing is 90% rider and 10% machine anyway, so it is not enough to matter. And our Yamaha dealer is great, while our Suzuki dealer is not. I had a miss in the engine of my YFZ that I could not find the cause for last week, so I took it to the dealer and he found a bad electrical connection with his diagnostic equipment. My YFZ is out of warranty, but it cost me nothing. I think I 'll stick with Yamaha, thank you just the same. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

The new Suzuki isn't leaps and bounds over anything out currently, the only thing that may be an advantage is the EFI. Noone wants a stock quad with a 49" width unless you strictly race MX, IMO. Thats +3 inches over the YFZ and I hear lots of people complain about their +2 YFZ a-arms being to wide for trails. The Suzuki also weighs 20 lbs more than the YFZ; with all the bragging of weight saving on their page you'd think they got it below 450 lbs...but nope. EFI isn't that great unless you absolutly HATE jetting a carb and I bet you'll see most people switching out their EFI for a good old fasioned carb when race day comes, anyways. Personally the new Suzuki is on par with the competition, but definitly not any better than the TRX or YFZ. EFI isn't even close to a large enough improvement to make me switch and with the $7,300 price tag on the Suzuki I'd MUCH rather buy a YFZ. I wouldn't worry to much about the new Suzuki being any faster than the other 450's on the market, theirs only so much you can do with a 450cc engine while keeping it reliable.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Very true about the width. Now just watch what the magazines have to say about it though ...

A stock 2005 DS 650 is 49.5" wide, and a stock Suzuki 450 is 49" wide, but I'll bet the magazines rant and rave about how much they like the extra width on a Suzuki 450, even though they all bitched and moaned about the DS being too wide. Do you think you can really feel an extra 1/4" of width on each side when you are out there riding?

Old 10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's only a $300 price difference between the LT-R450 and the YFZ. Almost every racer gets wider A-arms and axle, stock on the zuki. That alone is way more then $300, the EFI is just a bonus. As for the weight, 18lbs difference, no biggie. Yes it's probably too wide for the average trail rider but it's not built for them.
Yamaha guys crack me up. When the Raptor 700 came out it was the most awesome thing out 'cause it was EFI and a 700. All it is is a 686 with EFI that barely beats either 450 if at all, and yes I've raced them. Give Suzuki some credit, they built a racer that should be very competitive out of the box. We'll just have to wait and see when it hit's the dealers, tracks and dunes how it stacks up.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LRDracing5
keelam im start to wonder if you affraid that the yfz will get beat on the track now because of the ltr450, and half of the stuff you have said on here are unlikly to happen or the products arnt made for the quad.

I have proof that they sell it for the yfz450. That is the exact copy of the e-mail sent back to me. And for the information, thanks alot. I see that you guys still have heart for the YFZ 450 even though another machine came out more track race ready than the YFZ 450.

Yes we sell EFI for the new YFZ 450 (2006) it runs 1395.00 + shipping
Thanks
Full Throttle Junkies

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 4:02 PM
To: Full Throttle Junkies
Subject: Enquiry from Full Throttle Junkies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FTJ is just a reseller. KMS is the mfger of the EFI kits they sell KMS was working on a kit for the yfz but I've never heard that they were done with it. If you really want to get some information on it talk to people who have a clue not the middleman. Not that I believe you're all that serious anyway, but thats neither here nor there.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
FTJ is just a reseller. KMS is the mfger of the EFI kits they sell KMS was working on a kit for the yfz but I've never heard that they were done with it. If you really want to get some information on it talk to people who have a clue not the middleman. Not that I believe you're all that serious anyway, but thats neither here nor there.
Thanks for the information. BTW, why are you always trying to cause problems? Always bringing up that I am not serious. Why won't you just back off.