Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can I make my Kodiak go through more mud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I make my Kodiak go through more mud?

I would go with mudlite tires, clutch kit, and the supertrapp pipes seem to work good for mud bogs.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

its 2 & 1/2 inch exhaust pipe my dad works at a muffler repair place he bent a 85 degree bend about 6 inches out from the end then made a flange on the end to bolt to the muffler. we had to support it to the rack becouse it is heavy he bent the top side at 95 degrees and cut it with a sawsall to make the out let it sounds great to

Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks raxxor. It looks cool, I might try it only not as tall.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

BTW Raxxor, How do you like your mud lites? My wheeler isn't as mean as yours but I am definately going to put on a more aggressive tire. Do you think the 26 or 27"ers would be too much for my 400? Probably even just adding 25" mud lites would make a big improvement, what do you think?

Old 10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know what the difference is between say a highlifter lift kit and say a Moose lift kit? Highlifter is $120.00 and a moose lift is only something like $80.00.

What is included and how do they work?

I would think that it shouldn't be hard to install is it?

Thanks everyone,

Dave

Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

The mud lite tire seems to be a pretty good all around tire good on the trail and it is also a pretty descent mud tire. If you look at my pics in my profile you will see the kind of stuff i go through and i havent had problems going through anything yet. As for the size of the tire the only thing that does is give you the extra ground clearance. If your a mudder than i would get the 27 inch tire just because of the extra ground clearance.If your gonna get the 25 inch tires make sure u get the XLs if u want the bigger lugs which is better for muddin. If you click the camera i have a pic in there with my 425 with the 25 inch mudlites which are not the XLs and you can see the difference in the lug size compared to my 27 inch tire.I also know a muffler mod that i did to my grizz that woke it up a little. Im pretty sure it will work for your kodiak seeing how its just a smaller version of the grizz.

Muffler mod:
take off the rear muffler plate. ( 3 allen screws)
drill the spot weld on the spark arrester, and remove the spark arrester from the removed plate( spark arrester has the screen)
now, cut off the 3/4 inch pipe coming out of the plate.
go to the auto store, and buy a 1 1/2 inch i.d. pipe end piece for car exhaust. ( i got mine this way)
place the 1 1/2 inch piece into the hole, and weld it in. slide the spark arrester over the new pipe, and set it down.

now, get a 12 inch drill bit, either a 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch. slide it into the back of the opened exhaust, until you hit the baffle. drill 15 3/8 inch holes, or 10 1/2 inch holes.
reinstall the modded rear plate, with the spark arrester in place. its that simple!!!

the sound is tons better that stock, but not loud at all. i beleave the stock sound level is 92 db,s. with the mod it 96 db,s. aftermarket exhausts can go to 104 db,s.
adds good power, and in most cases, you dont have to rejet, but i would do a plug chop just in case.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW! That sounds like a cool, cheap idea for a muffler mod! I think I will try it.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

So it looks like I need to get:

27" mud lite tires

Alum rims to save weight maybe?

clutch kit

1" or 2" lift kit

Do raxxor's muffler mod thing

snorkels for muffler and tranny at least

Do you guys think that these things would make much of a difference to my Kodiak?
Any other suggestions?

Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

all that should help alot

Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

should be a great improvement

Quick Reply: Can I make my Kodiak go through more mud?