Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700R VS Banshee results

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700R VS Banshee results

Had the chance to go riding with 4 Banshees on the weekend, we had a few drags down a limestone road. My bike is Stock. First drag was with an 06LE banshee which was also stock. Not sure the distence but i got into top gear and reached top speed for about 10 seconds. I beet him off the line and continued to pull away and had about 6 lengths on him by the end.

There were two piped Banshees which i didnt get to have a one on one drag with but we lined up all 5 bikes and the two piped Banshees were a few bike lengths behind me and i ended up coming 2nd (not counting the KX500 which obviously blew us all away).

The last drag was with the highly modded Banshee, not sure what exactly what he had done but piped, jetted, intake and a host of internal engine mods were done and he had some nice chunky Maxis Razar tyres. We lined up for a very long drag. The 700R went quite well i thought considering the mods on this Banshee, he had about 4 lengths on me by the time i hit top speed and then continued to pull away cause the banshee had a higher top speed leaving me for dead but in terms of acceleration there wasnt too much in it.

So there ya go, i was very happy with the results and was good to stick it to them after they told me 4 strokes were girls bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Thanks for the report, mods really open that 700R up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

good to hear sum nice stats bout the 700. thnx. sounds like a really nice peice of machenery (sp? lol)

Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ROOOOST
So there ya go, i was very happy with the results and was good to stick it to them after they told me 4 strokes were girls bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Well if your 4-stroke Raptor was a 350 like the Banshee-----it WOULD be a girl's bike. But enough cubes will eventually make up the difference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speedster700HP

Well if your 4-stroke Raptor was a 350 like the Banshee-----it WOULD be a girl's bike. But enough cubes will eventually make up the difference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
shut up

Old 10-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

good report, i raced a mid 90's banshee last week, he had duels out the back i dont know what else he had, but i blew him away from the start. also he had a hard time hooking up and was having clutch issues, but hey i still won, lol

Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Speedster700HP

<start lecture>

Well actually the Banshee is more like a 700 it self, being 2 stroke you must double its capacity when comparing to a 4 stroke as it has one power stroke every revolution and will suck in petrol and burn it every revolution whereas the 4 stroke only has one power stroke every 2 revolutions.

Same as a rotary engine apears to make impressive power for a 1.3 liter but when you compare them fairly you need to tripple that capacity as it has three power cycles to a 4strokes one so your 1.3 liter rotary more closely resembles a 3.9 liter 4 stroke piston engine where performance and fuel consumption is comparative.

When comparing the capacity of different types of engines you really need to compare the capacity per cycle not how big the combustion chamber is.

<end lecture>

Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<start lecture>

Well actually the Banshee is more like a 700 it self, being 2 stroke you must double its capacity when comparing to a 4 stroke as it has one power stroke every revolution and will suck in petrol and burn it every revolution whereas the 4 stroke only has one power stroke every 2 revolutions.

Same as a rotary engine apears to make impressive power for a 1.3 liter but when you compare them fairly you need to tripple that capacity as it has three power cycles to a 4strokes one so your 1.3 liter rotary more closely resembles a 3.9 liter 4 stroke piston engine where performance and fuel consumption is comparative.

When comparing the capacity of different types of engines you really need to compare the capacity per cycle not how big the combustion chamber is.

<end lecture>
Close but no cigar. The accepted conversion factor is right around 1.75, meaning a two stroke will be similar in power to a four stroke 1.75 times its size when in similar relative states of tune. This is why the AMA/ATVA has thier classes originally limited at 250cc for 2 stroke and 440cc for four strokes. While the "stroke per revolution" theory appears to make sense, the fact of the matter is that mechanics are not theoretical in practice. Friction and design issues along with other joyful aspects limit true efficiency to a lower standard of approximately 1.75.