Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CBR600RR powered Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600RR powered Warrior

Well, in my opinion, there really isnt a great bike engine for a quad that is ridden off road, trails, dunes, ect.
My reason is that the gears arnt 'right'.

How can you use second gear on a trail ride when first gear is capable of 65-70MPH alone?
(this being a 600 class, the new R1 is capable of over 100MPH in FIRST gear)

But since you asked, Ill give my opinion of a good street bike motor for quad duty.

Suzuki SV650. Its a 650cc V-Twin, (lots of low RPM torque), redlines decently high at 11 grand, and makes about 80HP stock.
First gear tapped out is around 40-50, but it gets there fast with the front tire in the air.
To me, this sounds like a FUN quad motor. It sounds USABLE.

Now, if I were to make a quad that was to hill shoot comp hill, (or olds hill in the case of glamis) the I would choose a 98-03 R1 motor.
More low-end torque than the new one, lightweight, 150HP, 98MPH at redline in first in the bike. (bike tires, and stock sprockets)
This bike motor in a very extended quad, using only first gear would rip up olds hill VERY fast.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mr350X
Well, in my opinion, there really isnt a great bike engine for a quad that is ridden off road, trails, dunes, ect.
My reason is that the gears arnt 'right'.

How can you use second gear on a trail ride when first gear is capable of 65-70MPH alone?
(this being a 600 class, the new R1 is capable of over 100MPH in FIRST gear)

But since you asked, Ill give my opinion of a good street bike motor for quad duty.

Suzuki SV650. Its a 650cc V-Twin, (lots of low RPM torque), redlines decently high at 11 grand, and makes about 80HP stock.
First gear tapped out is around 40-50, but it gets there fast with the front tire in the air.
To me, this sounds like a FUN quad motor. It sounds USABLE.

Now, if I were to make a quad that was to hill shoot comp hill, (or olds hill in the case of glamis) the I would choose a 98-03 R1 motor.
More low-end torque than the new one, lightweight, 150HP, 98MPH at redline in first in the bike. (bike tires, and stock sprockets)
This bike motor in a very extended quad, using only first gear would rip up olds hill VERY fast.

what if i was to get a banshee/yfz450 and added the SV650 into it? Would it work and do you think the frame would be able to hold up? how much does the engine weigh compare to a quads engine?

Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

oh yea, why not the GSX 600?

Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well first off, I would never go and buy a YFZ450 and convert it to anything. Its too new and well forget it. You wouldnt want to put such a new bad *** machine under the knife.

A banshee frame would deff. hold up, considering there are plenty of hillshooting banshees with that much power and still run the stock/semi stock frame.

A "GSX 600" is a katana, and, air cooled, and no. You dont need one of those. They are a decent street bike though, for a beginner or someone who wants something comfortable and "kind of" sporty.

If you meant a GSXR600 motor, its practically the same as the CBR600RR. 599cc inline 4, liquid cooled of course, 15-16K RPM redline, ect.

As far as the SV650 motor, It being a Twin will be a little heavier than the 600 4 cylinder engines. (twins are always a little heavier than a similar displacement 4)

I dont know that I would actually go to the trouble of fabricating and installing an SV650 motor.
It just would be a decent choice for a regularly trail ridden quad, but would be extremely fast too! (80HP twin is gonna be pretty fast)

Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mr350X
Well first off, I would never go and buy a YFZ450 and convert it to anything. Its too new and well forget it. You wouldnt want to put such a new bad *** machine under the knife.

A banshee frame would deff. hold up, considering there are plenty of hillshooting banshees with that much power and still run the stock/semi stock frame.

A "GSX 600" is a katana, and, air cooled, and no. You dont need one of those. They are a decent street bike though, for a beginner or someone who wants something comfortable and "kind of" sporty.

If you meant a GSXR600 motor, its practically the same as the CBR600RR. 599cc inline 4, liquid cooled of course, 15-16K RPM redline, ect.

As far as the SV650 motor, It being a Twin will be a little heavier than the 600 4 cylinder engines. (twins are always a little heavier than a similar displacement 4)

I dont know that I would actually go to the trouble of fabricating and installing an SV650 motor.
It just would be a decent choice for a regularly trail ridden quad, but would be extremely fast too! (80HP twin is gonna be pretty fast)
KOOL!! You know how you told me that the RVT1000r is a race bike, how come it is expensiver than a CBR 1000?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Eh, I could go on and on about the RC51. (RVT1000R)
If you want to read about it, (and the other Honda RC race bikes before it) click here.

You can read the whole thing, or you can just scroll to the bottom of the page and read that.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

ALRITE!!

Old 10-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

To the original poster:

I hope I didnt offend or anything, or sound like im dissin the CBR Warrior.

That thing IS bad ***, and it kind of makes me want to do something like that.
The actual job of fabricating and custom building the machine looks like a fun job.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Nope, no offense taken, I suppose I did get a little defensive, but I was just explaining mainly the fact that it isnt even near completion yet. I just put it together to ride it and make sure things would work out before I put too much more time into it. I also know very well that you are never the nicest or fastest person out there, owning a heavily modified Z28 camaro showed me that, 10second 1/4s seem fast when its your own pride and joy, but then theres guys doin 9s and 8s no problem, in an even nicer car.

As for my explanation on the liter engines....the weight isnt the only thing that would make it a bad choice for anything but a drag/dune quad...they are much much larger (relatively speaking) I have two buddies with an R6 and an R1, both '04s. The r1 must be at least 2" wider than the r6, if not 3 or 4", and also im sure much taller. This would make for quite an uncomfortable ride, not to mention some major frame mods to make it fit. I could actually fit the 600 in the frame bone stock, even now the frame is not modified in height or length, only width on the top rails for the enormous airbox.

Remember, I am speaking strictly of hybrids where MXing is still a concern. Anything is fair game in my opinion if you only want to go straight real real fast, like the turbo/n20 busa DS I saw online recently. I dont want to even think about trying to jump anything more than a 600. Mine only weighs about 10-15lbs more than stock, with everything...exhaust and all. And that is claimed dry weight of 397lbs stock for a warrior, im sure they are more than that.

As for vtwins...I would love to get a sv650 motor, or even better the rvt1000, but for anyone trying to do a swap like this that wants it to be semi-easy like the 600 I did was, a vtwin out of a streetbike would not be the choice. Reason being the 90* angle of the cylinders. If you look at a sv650 for example, the rear cylinder is pointing straight up, and the front is pointing straight forward, this would mean some major lengthening of the frame to make it fit. Dont get me wrong though, the shear torque of a 1000cc twin would be incredible in a quad, this will likely be a future project of my own.

Thats all for now, have to go, ill think of more stuff later

Old 10-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

Yes indeed the RVT (race V-Twin) is 90 degrees. (as is the SV)

The beauty of the RVT1000R, is the gear driven cams. They wine, and with a good exhaust, the sound is mechanical music.

The RVT1000R motor in a quad would be.... interesting. Tons of torque and screaming top end. (with the right powercommander map and exhaust, ect)

Quick Reply: CBR600RR powered Warrior