Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CBR600RR powered Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600RR powered Warrior

that **** is sick...I want to get a 06 gsxr 750 and upgrade my z400 to a ltr450 then i have the best for both worlds on and off road [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Im not sure about the best........ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Heres a few new pics of an almost completed project. I still want to figure something out with the front fenders, cant quite make them look good. And I still need to find some titanium fill rod to finish welding up the exhaust so I can put the cover piece back on the muffler. And need to find out if I can street legalize it here so I know what kind of wheels/tires I am going to buy. If I cant i need to order a set of holeshot hds on itp T9s, if i can...a set of duros mounted on itp steels.

http://www.geocities.com/jonaddis842003/Warrior/frt.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/jonaddis842...rior/frtrt.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/jonaddis842...rior/right.JPG

And about the power being usable in a quad, its surprising how many gears I can actually use, I really dont spend that much time in first gear even though it will take me to 65mph. I spend the majority of the time switching between 2nd and 3rd, but 4th gets used in straights a bit. The problem is that with the tires I have right now it has too much power anywhere above 12000 that i have to switch up a gear or its just sideways the whole time.

And for durability, I have been beating the living **** out of this thing and havent had a single problem with it yet.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

Added new pictures and video to the website
www.geocities.com/jonaddis842003/warrior.html

Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr350X, I think you are getting way too picky. Why can't it just be that it's a kick *** motor swap and left at that? The fact that the quad has the frame setup right to take the power should be #1 on the list. Some people find a good deal on a motor and go from there. Sometimes the whole point of doing something like this is just because its pointless... not because of dyno or dune specs. I have heard of someone putting an RZ500 in a LT500 frame.. I have even seen a 350 small block turned chainsaw and even a snowblower. Sometimes the right amount of parts come your way and something cool comes out of it. It doesn't have to be designed in AutoCAD first.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rruser
Mr350X, I think you are getting way too picky. Why can't it just be that it's a kick *** motor swap and left at that? The fact that the quad has the frame setup right to take the power should be #1 on the list. Some people find a good deal on a motor and go from there. Sometimes the whole point of doing something like this is just because its pointless... not because of dyno or dune specs. I have heard of someone putting an RZ500 in a LT500 frame.. I have even seen a 350 small block turned chainsaw and even a snowblower. Sometimes the right amount of parts come your way and something cool comes out of it. It doesn't have to be designed in AutoCAD first.
Hmmmmm....SB350+Quad.....could be interesting, if they can fit a V8 in a motorcycle (Boss Hog), why not a quad?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Well, crap I cant remember what I wrote 4 months ago.

Too picky? About what? The choice of motor? Well, I wasnt being picky... after all It was just my opinion, not my project.

I agree with you that if you have a motor and a frame, hell yes make it work!! Nothing like a good project.
BUT, if this guy (cant remember..... 4 months ago) SEARCHED for that motor... it wouldnt have been my pick.

First gear (and every gear thereafter) is geared WAY to tall for quad duty. I mean, really... I enjoy shifting. If first gear is good all the
way up to 60-70MPH, (especially considering this is a low torque, high revving 600) this eliminates the joy of shifting. Sure you may hit second, but you
had better make sure you have a good, clean, clear road in front of you.

This type of motor makes PERFECT sense in a bike... but novelty aside, it makes very little sence in an off road, slower speed, solid rear axle machine.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Mr350X
Well, crap I cant remember what I wrote 4 months ago.

Too picky? About what? The choice of motor? Well, I wasnt being picky... after all It was just my opinion, not my project.

I agree with you that if you have a motor and a frame, hell yes make it work!! Nothing like a good project.
BUT, if this guy (cant remember..... 4 months ago) SEARCHED for that motor... it wouldnt have been my pick.

First gear (and every gear thereafter) is geared WAY to tall for quad duty. I mean, really... I enjoy shifting. If first gear is good all the
way up to 60-70MPH, (especially considering this is a low torque, high revving 600) this eliminates the joy of shifting. Sure you may hit second, but you
had better make sure you have a good, clean, clear road in front of you.

This type of motor makes PERFECT sense in a bike... but novelty aside, it makes very little sence in an off road, slower speed, solid rear axle machine.
You make a good point, again, about inline 4s not being the BEST choice for a quad, and Im sure you wouldve liked to advise that a Vtwin is a more suited engine for a hybrid quad, and I DO agree with that based off numbers. But....first off a Vtwin, (this is just going to be a speculation by the way) will not fit in a a stock length quad. I can almost promise, even an SV engine would require a stretched engine bay because of the 90* configuration. Therefore that takes away the novelty of it "appering" stock unless looking at it up close, also it kills MX type riding performance.

Second, you keep forgetting about gearing and tire size in all your posts. A stock bike has a 25-26" tire, quad 18-20 (I run 20's), it also has a 16-43 stock gearing (mine is 16-46). I choose to run those gears right now because I ride mainly on the road until spring/summer and I find a place to ride, but I could throw up to a, I think, 50 tooth rear, and drop the front to say a 14 or 15 and drop the hell out of the speed. In that case 1st gear redlines at 44mph, which isnt too awful far off from a new quad I would imagine. And once you get past 2nd the gears are extremely close in this engine. (from 1.9:1 - 1.2:1 between 2nd & 6th) so youd use quite a bit more gearing.

Im not going to argue that a 600 bike engine is the ideal engine for a quad, because its not true, but you make it sound a lot worse than it actually is. Until you ride one in a well set up chassis, and correct gearing, try not to speculate so much. Possibly you have, and still didnt like it, but I think it is first of all fun as hell, and second I will maintain that it is a very very ridable bike, as in an MX or trail ride environment.

Not to mention if you have a piece of crap warrior, that sucks in the first place, and is dead more often than it runs to boot....and dont want to buy a new quad, an engine swap is your only choice. I will tell you that the first engines I was looking for were big bore quad engines, or a banshee engine, but you cant TOUCH one of those for less than $1500-2000, I picked this whole kit up from a 2004 with <3000 miles for a grand, and made it fit for another couple hundred. If you didnt want such a new motor and FI like I did you could do this for WELL under $1000.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have not had the pleasure of riding one. You are right about the V-Twin not fitting as well as the inline, but an RC51 motor in a quad frame would be fun. Your also right about the tire size... and this would be a significant factor in the ridability and torque, and making the top speed in each gear more reasonable.

I have no doubt that riding that 600rr powered Warrior is a KICK! Those little inline's really really scream.. and I would build one in a heartbeat.

My posts are just speculation, because I, in fact, have never ridden a conversion quad.

In theory, Its not a great idea for a ridable, jumpable, shiftable, machine.

But, in reality, im sure its fun as hell. It screams, im sure it spins its tires like mad even on pavement, ect.
To be realistic...... how different is a banshee motor anyway. No torque, screaming top end... characteristically similar to a bike motor. And hey, guess what quad I ride.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Any motor hybrid in a warrior is a blast, I have alot of fun with my xr650 Warrior, and runs with the rest out there.

Quick Reply: CBR600RR powered Warrior