Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

lost my banshee key

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost my banshee key

ilost my banshee key then tried starting it with a screwdriver messed it up pretty bad took off the ignition and now have bare wires how can i hot wire it my banshee is an 87

Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well, there is a alpha numeric code etched on the ignition switch that is actually a key code. Next time, take that code in to a dealer and get a key cut, actually, get two cut, one for you and another when you loose that one. Buy a switch assembly and start your quad like you own it.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

If I remember correctly, there are two wires going into the switch housing. Plug them together and it will be as if the key is always in the on position. I did this on my Blaster and 250R. On a battery equiped machine, it can run down the battery, but with the total-loss banshee, it is of little concern.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

same thing to me i was hitting all of these bumps on my preddy and the key fell out it is always left on but the battery never dies

Old 10-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

go with what nicname said we have done it on a couple of things

Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Sure, take the total half a$$ approach and cob together a couple of wires in a high vibration environment. The looks of a couple twisted together wires is great too. Is that the best fix?

Old 10-22-2005, 01:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Turtler
Well, there is a alpha numeric code etched on the ignition switch that is actually a key code. Next time, take that code in to a dealer and get a key cut, actually, get two cut, one for you and another when you loose that one. Buy a switch assembly and start your quad like you own it.
I have to agree with Turtler here, take your info (registration, bill of sale, whatever it is you have for your area) back to a dealer and get a new switch and key for it.

There should be an automatic deletion of any thread started asking for how to hotwire a quad/motorcycle. Do it the right way...

Old 10-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks...

I feel that this is a valuable piece of information, especially if it a key is lost on a long trip. We lost a Blaster key the first day of a five-day Little Sahara trip. Loading up and running back to the dealership (and waiting 7-10 days for a key) wasn't an option. I agree that getting the key replaced is the best option, but sometimes you do things to save a ride or not be towed back to the trailer.

I don't run a key on my 250R, it didn't have a factory key. If you had ever looked at a Blaster or Banshee switch you would know there are two wires that have corresponding ends, usually yellow and white. Plug the male terminal into the female and lay the wire behind the cowl where they were originally. No cobbled up mess of twisted wires I can see.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You know, I agree with you that it's valuable information and I feel bad for someone like whseddon that has lost their key. Unfortunately, it's also good information for any idiot crackhead out there looking to jack bikes, and that's what we as a group of enthusiasts want to prevent. Now, you are always going to have the "pros" that are going to steal because that's what they do, but you also have a group of people on the fence that may steal a bike for the thrill of it, or to run out and joyride it for a while. By posting on an open forum how they can do that easier, you have increased the odds that your bike will get jacked...

I have an idea...go buy a spare key today!!!!. Put it on your keyring, hide it in your truck or trailer, put it in your wallet...whatever it takes. Very simple solution...

I went for a ride not too long ago and forgot my key. It was sitting in the cabinet right next to my spare. I felt like a DA, but I was fortunate in that I was only 20 minutes from home, but from that day on, I always have my spare close to me, and the main in the cabinet unless I'm riding.