Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mods for a '04 blaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for a '04 blaster

okay never mind because i dont know much about quads yet since I have not ever rode a sport meachine before I got the blaster I had been riding a arctic cat 500 4x4 and I rode my friends z-400 like two times for like 10 min. So what can I buy that will basically almost bolt right up? Is the fox air shocks any good> Dirtwheels said the Raptor shocks will bolt rigth up!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

Well... Most everything I did was "bolted up" so if you can turn a wrench and spend the money... You will soon find that the short and narrow blaster is in much need of a longer wider base. That is why I did these things to this one.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking in this order

1. Hole-shot H-D tires front and back with ITP t-9 pro-lock

2. 5 in. wheels spacer front and back

3. shocks front and back ( dont now which ones yet)

4.G-Force axel + 2-4 in.

5. Lrd pipe

Old 10-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

no one has said yet if the yfz-450 front shocks will almost bolt on or anything if they will fit at all, so what will I have have to do to install them up front?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wildcatkit52
Just to note, I am using a +4 swingarm. This is why I am trying the banshee shock. since the added length to the swingarm is rearward of the shock mount, the rear of the ATV is raised a large amount.

Here are some things I have on it so far.

A-arms--- +3 up 1 arms american star sport star plus a arms $440 for the complete kit off of ebay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-Y...QQcmdZViewItem

Swingarm---- +4 extended stock piece from blasterzone.com (part #BZ-78SS) http://blasterzone.com/store/swingarms/swingarms.html

maier silver race plastic, 32mm carb, LT250R front shocks(for now) FMF pipe and silencer, banshee spindles and front brakes, banshee rear axle and carrier as well as rear disc and banshee rear hydro brakes.
WILDCAT

Not trying to be a jerk or keep disagreeing with you or anything, But i am running a +4 swingarm as well..On every + size swingarm i have ever saw the shock mount is in the same position as stock..The actual extension is added from the shock mount back to the carrier..Take a look at my pics..I am using a kfx rear shock(same as 400ex) and the azz end of the bike only sits up about a 1/2 inch higher than it did stock..And man let me tell you It soaks up everything..It is such a good swap man....Also I will tell you this..My little brother bought a 2001 raptor shock for his warrior..Shortly after we bought the raptor shock the motor went south on the warrior..SO he gave me the raptor shock to try out(it's like a 1/2 inch longer than the warrior/banshee shock) and when i put it on the bike it set way to low in the back..I mean just pushing the grab bar down would make the airbox touch the swingarm..Like i said though i'm not trying to give you a hard time, mainly just trying to save you a head ache.. If you want i can give you a link to a do it yourself guide to using a 250R shock/400ex shock and modifying the swingarm shock mount to make it a long travel..

fastestkidaround

for the last time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] , the best/easiest rear shock swap is the 400 ex..If you have stock a-arms and are planning on using wheel spacers buy banshee shocks for the front [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]..I know those piggyback rezzies look nice on the yfz shocks but it's more trouble than it's worth..yfz shocks will not work unless you are running long travel a-arms that require a 16' shock mmm-kay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful when choosing a 250r rear shocks, because they are not all the same. As mentioned before the rezzy hoses are longer on the trx version but the length of the shock also changed. The 86-87 trx shock was much longer and made the overall ride height sit higher by about 2 inches on the R, and the 88-89 were the short body version and lowered the ride height. If your using on on the blaster its best to use the short body shock, this will not change the ride height at all, even if your using a extended swinger it will still sit at roughly the same height. If your using a earlier version shock your going to find that the rear end sits about 3" higher then stock. I've tested both versions on my old blaster and found the later year worked the best for overall handling and suspension travel..

shav

Old 10-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Are reeds any good, if so what does it basically do it is like better throttle response? I want a carb first but this is will be a (I have done most other things to my bike) thing!

Old 10-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

something like this is what you will want. I don't think that V Force has a reed cage for a blaster but I haven't looked into that yet. I think this blaster may have Boysen reeds on it but that will change as I upgrade the performace. It can be ported quite a bit more than the mild job that was done on it so I will work all around that...

https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared...t=products.asp

Old 10-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for all your help you guys!

Old 10-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Wildcat--what do you think of those a-arms? I was looking at them also. Are they considered long travel, and what is the reccomended shock length gor those arms? Would a 16 inch shock work?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Mods for a '04 blaster