Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Defending the 660

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defending the 660

I just wanted to say that I get the impression that A LOT of people hate the original Raptor, and I am not sure why. I have an 03 and have never had a problem that I didn't cause myself (crashing, riding through deep water etc). I think it has plenty of power, especially piped and is a great trail quad. So what if its not as fast as a banshee or yfz, it is still fun to ride, and I believe is the best looking design ever. The raptor haters always have something to say about it, but I just wanted to defend it and say I think, with the exception of the 01 tranny probs, it has been a pretty important part of atv history. Although it wasn't the first "big bore" 4-stroke, it really was the one that set that whole movement in motion. Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this out there. Anybody with me?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

I concur I just got an 04 and have some reservations about not getting an 06 but the $2000 differance helped me in my decision.

i think they are an all around good quad. I have ridden the banshee and feel those are good for the sand but not everyone live close to the dunes.. I have never touched a 450 so i have no info. to share on that matter.

Bottom line : I am happy with my Big bore..... Raptor 660

Old 10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Although Ive never owned a Raptor, I think they are a great machine. (not especially the 01 due to catastrophic tranny failures like you said)

I havnt seen to many people dog the "old" raptor at all. Not sure where you are getting that from.
Just because a new model comes out, doesnt make the older model any less of what it was! The new one is just improved in
the areas the company 'felt' the machine needed improvements.

Example: the Toyota 4Runner.

I have a 97' 4X4 3.4 litre. The new one is out, and although some people probably like it.. I do not. I think it looks soccer-mom-ish.
I think it lost its rugged original look, in favor of the new 'modern retro' look.... and it lost some ground clearance in the process.

I guess thats not the same, because most people probably DO think the new Raptor is improved all around.
Just give yours attention, mods, make it different, make it faster. Do something that makes you love it like when you first got it.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Im with you

Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

The old 660 is a great machine and was everything everyone wanted it to be, and then some! Machines and designs always get improved and it was the Raptors time, but it dosen't mean the old 660 is a horrible bike now it's just not quite as good as the new one. Think of it like owning a "classic" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] But like I've said many times, the new 700's don't have much power advantage (which is what most people worry about anyways) but more of a egronomics/handling and useability improvements. They are nice improvements, but not quite enough to make the majority want to switch over.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. Here is how I see it. Yes I ride a 660 and I'm going to defend it. But thats besides the point. The 660 was the original mother of all power. It was the first 4 stroke that could keep up with the Banshee. It has just been updated. The 700 is just a new step in the quad world. Yamaha is just doing what we all do. Make it bigger, make it better, make it FASTER!!!!! YES!!! Both the 660 and the 700 are Yamaha quads. That right there tells you that they are great machines. They each have their ups and downs. Just like the Banshee, the YFZ, the Grizzly, and the list goes on. There are 4 brands that still run together. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Like I said they all have their ups and downs, but these 4 companies have been battling and making the best and most durable quads since 1984. And they are always gonna get better. Yeah, Honda's 450R probably is better than the legendary 250R, but that doesn't mean that we are going to forget about the 250. With the right mods, its still the king of the track. And yeah, stock for stock the YFZ is faster than the Banshee but no one could ever say that screaming Shee isnt pure evil and faster than hell. So basically since I made this post really really long. I just want to say. Here is a toast to Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green and to the sport we love best. And remember without competition, it wouldn't be fun. As for me, I'm selling the Raptor (Awww Sad. LOL) and I'm going back to Honda and getting a 450R. Not that I don't like Yamaha anymore, I just love Honda also. So ride hard guys, and have fun.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Absolute JUNK[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
I can't think of one good thing about my Raptor other than I don't have it any more
It was poorly designed and rushed to production...the machine was such a heap that Yamaha "retired" it after only a few years...and Yamaha is known for producing the SAME quad year after year...why didn't they do this with the 660 Rappy
1.The ride height was to tall
2.The Tranny was a grenade(yah only th 01's but there was plenty of them)
3.The frame and sub-frame were far to weak for the machine
4.The motor can only handle mild mods before it blows itself apart
5.The one-way starter gear was junk
6.the carbs they chose robbed huge amounts of power

There's way more to it...I'm glad you have had such great luck with your machines and hope your luck stays that way
I hated my Raptor so much I scrapped and dissasembled her for parts vowing that not even my worst enemy would ever have to deal with it ever again...I still have some of the junk laying around...I should burn it

Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the 660 first came out, the 400EX was top of the food chain. Everyone had one because that wa the biggest and baddest thing going. Yamaha seriously trumped Honda, and there were a lot of people with a hurt pride. Then when the original Rappy had some issues(tranny, one way, carb boots) it was easy to pile on. I just think this has carried over the years. And the 660 had a four year run before being upgraded, I don't see that as a weakness, but a sign the industry is waking up and listening to the end consumer. How long did it take for Honda to put reverse on the 400EX? How long did it take to redo the 300EX(still not done) or the Warrior? The Banshee? I wonder if Yamaha would have released the 660 in the 700 frame where we would be in the sport quad world right now...

Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

The first atv I have ever owned I bought in January and It is an 01 raptor. I had very little experience on atv's when I bought it. All I knew was it was the biggest and the baddest machine out there. The machine is very easy to ride. It is a little tall, but It doesnt feel tippy in any way. It is very dependable and I have had no problems with it other than basic maitenence items such as chain, sprockets, and brake pads. The trans is holding up fine. Has great power and the machine quickly improved me as a rider. The raptor 660 is a great machine and yamaha just made it better with the all new totaly redesigned 700. I have talked to alot of guys who run 686,690,and 720 kits and they are very reliable. An engine is only as good as you make it. Yes the yfz450 is faster, but dont forget that is a race quad.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

I still think the 660 can take the yfz in top speed, i dont care what anyone says.