Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

NEW GRIZZLY 660 BOILING FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW GRIZZLY 660 BOILING FUEL

I bought a new Grizzly a couple months ago kinnd of worried about the stories I had heard about them running hot and boiling the fuel. Have several friend s with the same problem. The dealer assured me a heat sheald b etween the carb and exhaust had cured the problem. I rode it several weekneds and busted a cv boot and had to take it back it. I told them to go ahead and do the first service while it was there, adjusting valves, new plugs and such. 165 bucks later and one week I got it back. We went to Coal creek this weekend and the thing like to killed me several times. While riding no problems. Stop and rest a few minutes and it would fire back up just great. Start up a hill and it would start sp;uttering badly and almost quit. thence rolling down the hill backwards and smelling raw gas fumes. Once it has time to burn the fuel out of the carb bowl and refill it is fine the rest of the day until you stop again. At one point I could actually here the gas boiling in the carb while sitting still with the engine off. Radiator was clear, no mud , just a dusty weekend. Any cures to this age old problem. Never had trouble till taking it back to the dealer.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

The ones in our group STILL do it in spite of having the updates and the other being an 05.The problem is not fixed.
They do it when you are riding slow in the summer.One guy with an 04 wrapped his exhaust and that seemed to help more than anything.The other two have not done this and theirs STILL do it.If you try and use gas without alcohol that helps,it has a lower boiling point.When you stop and that thing sits it "heat soaks" which means it actually gets hotter before it cools down.Sometimes the guy with the 04 just takes his side covers off and rides like that.....helps but makes for a hot leg.
I would suggest wrapping the exhaust........seems to really help.Other than that they have pretty much help up ok.
02 650 camo

Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is the first I have ever heard of Grizzlies doing that. Is there room for a better heat shield or anything?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

You could add another layer of heat sheild or try using Engine Ice or something equivilent. It lowers engine temp quite a bit. Then there are those "super coolers" that are like a mini radiator in one of your hoses that could help a bit.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 04 and a 05 Griz and have never had this problem with either one. I pull a disc and do some pretty heavy work with the bucket and they get very hot but no boiling fuel. If it didn't do it before they messed with it I would say they did something to make it run hotter. Maybe leaned it out too much. What do your spark plugs look like?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I havent even touch ed it since i got home last monday. I will pull the plug and take a look at it and see if it looks lean. No problems before the dealer serviced it.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Have someone or your dealer check the float setting in the carb or the needle and seat.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

I live in the Nevada desert, and have ridden my Grizz in some very hot conditions 100% plus and have never had one problem?? Could it be as simple as an carburetor adjustment? Why do some have problems and some don't I use the high octane fuel in mine, Could this make any difference?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hard to say but there are some that do it.Like I was saying it's always in the summer and when we have been riding slow for some reason.My oen buddies 02 even after the "fix" does it although not as bad.Theres just alot of heat contained inside that area I guess.The guy with the 04 takes his side covers off in the summer and that does stop it from happening.If not he can start up a hill and it sometimes will start farting and backfiring and will not pull it self.Like I was saying about the other 04,,,,,he wrapped the exhaust and that seems to help a whole bunch.If I had a Grizz I would do that dor sure.
02 650 Camo

Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

I may be old school, but if I remember correctly a more premium gasoline will have the engine burn cooler than
the lower or regular grades fuels. It may be worth your trouble to try premium grade fuel, Its may only cost
50 or 60 cents per fill up... It would be good to know..

Quick Reply: NEW GRIZZLY 660 BOILING FUEL