Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What sand tires for 700r?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Air
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sand tires for 700r?

I run a 22x11x8 7 paddle Hauler. 4 strokes do not like too much paddle.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Okay guys...now I'm totally confused.

I just got done racing up comp hill in Dumont CA Halloween weekend. I have a 06 700r Raptor, with a Big Gun pipe, a TFI and K&N. I won 80% of my races, However, when my friend was watching me race he noticed my hole shot was all over the place. So, he suggested haulers. I don’t mind changing rims to do other riding so I'm not interested in a combination tire. I want the best sand tire for getting me up the hill in first place. Yes the 700r will pull past my competition in most cases even with a bad hole shot but for those races that are close.....I need an edge!

Thanks in advance for all your comments!

Steven

Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rawfast

I just got done racing up comp hill in Dumont CA Halloween weekend. I have a 06 700r Raptor, with a Big Gun pipe, a TFI and K&N. I won 80% of my races, However, when my friend was watching me race he noticed my hole shot was all over the place. So, he suggested haulers. I don’t mind changing rims to do other riding so I'm not interested in a combination tire. I want the best sand tire for getting me up the hill in first place. Yes the 700r will pull past my competition in most cases even with a bad hole shot but for those races that are close.....I need an edge!

Steven
1. You're hijacking Mark's thread, but with the exact same question.
2. Did you read any of the previous posts where people gave recommendations and shared some experiences?
3. Maybe you should repost with your experiences, like what tire you were running, what were the guys beating you with, who had 700's that did/didn't hook up well, and what were they running...ETC... ETC.

I'm not getting on ya...well, maybe a little for jackin Marks thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...but the 700 is so new that these past couple of weeks have really been experimentation time for the tire combos. The information already provided along with your observations will go a long way to helping you and other people make the same decision.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey dude,

I have no idea of what you’re talking about when you say hijacking. Secondly I did a Google search and it brought me here so I posted. I mean, why start a whole new post and make people jump back and forth between post when there is some good information here. I'm a newby at this sport and at forums such as these so give a guy some slack. There are no posted rules about making a comment on any thread which was what I was doing. In fact, I have a thread on here from last week and everyone was great.. I surely didn’t think that someone answering a question or asking a question would be construed as hijacking a thread. Where does this term come from anyway? And yes I did read all the CONFLICTING advice thus the sole reason for my question!!! I just desired an answer about wheels and tires and in my search on Google brought me here. If I’m not welcome here and if you want me to go to another forum just say so and I will be gone as fast as I came

Anyone have any other comments you want to throw my way?

Thanks

Steven

Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry dude, for some reason I'm pissin people off today and not meaning to. I apologize. You are of course welcome here.

I too am looking for some paddles, and your recent experience may also help in my decision. Maybe if you could detail what paddles/tires you were running that would assist in pointing you (and me) in a direction.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: rawfast

Steven

What tires (size, type, # of paddles) were used during those races at Dumont on Halloween? Also, what gear did you launch in? I heard it was a mad house that weekend.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

sandstars 20 11 10 work good
me and most of my buds use these
no complaints

Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Trailblazer

Get some 9 haulers. You are better with an 8 inch rim ( lighter ). 20 or 22 doesn't matter, both are neice and light and hook up well.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Islandraptor and all...

Hi,

I'm using AT20x11-10R paddles by Sand Star and they're not haulers! I was launching in first gear which I discovered was a waste. I now launch in second and am beating another 10% of my races. However, I'm still spinning more than I should.

Yes it was a madhouse on Halloween and flight for life was called a couple of times as well. One was a buggy that came over a hill and hit an 8 year old kid severing the handle bars off and either hurting him very bad or killing him. We waited for a long time but never did hear. Then a guy lost his front end on a DS 650 and came tumbling down the hill getting hurt pretty bad. I saw the third one at night and it not sure what happened but he was half way up the hill with all the rangers and medical staff. They carried him down on a stretcher. I heard it was another buggy accident. Seems these dune buggy dudes don’t look where they are going. I went and watched at night but refused to race up the hill in all that madness. Thats what the sun is for ha!

Also went to Dumont yesterday (Saturday Nov 26) and the sand storms were so bad we were all racing on the smaller hill where they have the banshee wars and so on. The sand and sun was so bad you couldn’t see yourself race up comp hill.

Thanks for the advice on the haulers and still not sure if there is any difference between the 8 inch or 10 inch. One poster said the 8 in is less probe to get hit by rocks which does make good sense. I would also think there is less weight involved with a smaller rim...but not sure!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks again for all your input. You have all made getting into this sport much easier!

Steven