Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

i bought the 700 raptor over the yfz for a couple reasons 1 the yfz will beat you to death riding and the raptor is like your on a caddy
2 reverse
3 fuel injection can go anyware and you dont have to rejet it and when you pipe it you dont have to re jet it and you can buy one of the computer chip for it and plug it in and redo alot of stuff to it and still be under factory warr as long as you dont go into the engine. they have the chip enhancer on ebay check it out just type in 700 raptor and you will see all kinds of stuff there for it

Old 10-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORMAN700
i bought the 700 raptor over the yfz for a couple reasons 1 the yfz will beat you to death riding and the raptor is like your on a caddy
2 reverse
3 fuel injection can go anyware and you dont have to rejet it and when you pipe it you dont have to re jet it and you can buy one of the computer chip for it and plug it in and redo alot of stuff to it and still be under factory warr as long as you dont go into the engine. they have the chip enhancer on ebay check it out just type in 700 raptor and you will see all kinds of stuff there for it
Yamaha said that ALL aftermarket EFI control boxes will void the warrenty!!!! Will it stop me from modding my 700?? Heck no!!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

WOW...you guys (and gals) are a wealth of information. THANKS!!!

I too noticed and heard the YFZ is VERY stiff and will beat you up. When I sat on teh raptor is was much nicer and felt like it fit better.

More questions...

The GYTR from Yamaha is listed at about $50 and the K&N are around $100. WHY the difference if they are both made by K&N?

Where can I read about the PCIII

What will get me the most bang for the buck? Changing the EFI or changing the air filter.

Is the EFI the same as a rev limiter or are they two separate units?

Thanks again for all the great input. You have all helped take the huge learning curve out of this project and I will be sure to come back one day and pay my dues by helping a newbee!!!

Steven

Heading to Dumont CA for eth Halloween gig this next weekend. Anyone else going?

Old 10-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, but why I would choose a YFZ 450 over a Raptor 700R is:

1) It revs faster (DOHC) and it has a WAY faster acceleration

2) It has a lower center of gravity (handling)

3) It's lighter

4) If it does start to have problems, I'm lucky because it's not EFI

5) Five valve means it could breath more

6) Fits me (5'9 3/4' and 190 lbs all muscle) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The DownSide is:

1) Not EFI for easy modding

2) The lack of reverse might sneak up and attack me

3) Not SOHC for slower revving in trails

4) More torque

Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

Hello All...

I decided to purchse the raptor 700R with a new pipe, paddles, EFI and air box with K&N filter. See ya at the Dumont Dunes in CA this weekend. Bring your best costume!!!

Thanks again

Steven

Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

06 yfz toasts a 06 raptor...its so funny. ide be really crazed up if i bought a raptor and got beat by atleast 5 links by a yfz.. ha ha ha ha hahahaha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I chose the Trinity EFI controller over the Dynojet for a few reasons. 1, its more of a self learning setup, although you have powerlevels to select. 2nd is i wanna stay with one brand for my mods. header\exhaust and EFI controller will be Trinity. I have a Pro Design intake rather than Trinity though, just cuz it was $60 cheaper. Same principal though.

Dynojet PC3 seems like a really nice, accurate setup in that you can put the program on a computer and anyalize everything.....make changes here and there. Seems like alot of work to me, if the same results could be achieved with a self learning computer. I tend to think computers are faster and more accurate at monitoring and adjusting in real time mode, but that is just an OPINION. From what ive read, the people that have the Dynojet are quite pleased.

If I get the Trinity and am not happy, ill get something else.

To the gentleman that said the EFI compensates for a pipe and you dont have to rejet.......I too thought the same thing when i bought the bike, as it seemed like a great feature......The real truth is, it does not compensate for mods. It compensates for temp, altitude and humidity. An aftermarket EFI controller is needed to richen the mixture. I have a Pro design intake with no lid on the box, the muffler is cut off, with a straight through stainless tip welded in place. After pulling my spark plug, it is snow white, indicating a lean condition. I also have not enough back pressure with the straight through tip(was just an experiment to test the EFI, and now i know better).

To the gentleman that asked whether its better to do an intake or EFI controller........Its not that one is better than the other.......an intake and\or exhaust will move more air, requiring more fuel. An EFI controller is needed to do this. If you put an EFI controller on a stock machine, you may notice some increase, depending on what the controller can do for you.......theres a chance the fuel\ignition curve could be optimized. Theres a chance you will see no improvement if the fuel\ignition map is already optimized.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mdaddy
06 yfz toasts a 06 raptor...its so funny. ide be really crazed up if i bought a raptor and got beat by atleast 5 links by a yfz.. ha ha ha ha hahahaha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
"toasts" um 05-06 r practically the same performance wise may have brought it up 10cc (woopie) but lost more cause they lowered comp. im not even getting in to this.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

The Verdict is In!!!

I did choose the 700R Raptor and do the following mods.

Big Gun pipe
Dobeck TFI (allows you to adjust the fuel injection and rev limiter. Much like jetting for a pipe and new air filter
New Air box with high end filter but not K&N. I was told it was comparable.

I raced on Comp (competition hill Dumont CA) from Thursday night till Sunday afternoon. I beat well over 80 percent of the bikes I raced. Part of the challenge was hooking up in the sand because I had the wrong p[addles. However, the bike is SO strong, it made up for the bad hole shot and I beat them anyway. A better hookup would result in a 90% winning rate! Now lets talk about raptor vs. YFZ

I beat every stock YFZ from last year and this year. I beat every modified YFY from last year except one who spent thousands in mods. And I hung dead even with an 06 YFZ with the same mods as me except the driver weighed 60lbs more. So, I would say the 06 YFZ is a tad faster if you’re just looking for speed. However, the Raptor was a much nicer ride and I didn’t get beat up so badly on the hills and could trail ride with is better that the YFZ. They are both excellent choices and I'm not here to say one is better that the other. I'm just sharing my experience with all of you who had serious input and help me with this decision

On another note, I'm highly completive and DON'T like losing. So, I have contacted someone who has been building turbos for 25 years. He has built a successful YFZ with about 90hp to the rear wheels. He has run this for several months and then did a tear down for inspection. The engine runs and inspected like it was new after pushing all this HP. He just purchased a new 06 Raptor 700r and will be creating a turbo for this bike as well. It’s not available till March and it’s not cheap ($6,250) but I am getting one. This will deliver between 100hp and 110 hp Like I said…I HATE losing!!

Thanks again for all your help!

Steven

Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

KMS is supposed to come out with one. What company are you dealing with?

Quick Reply: 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ