Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

Its called Turbo resource in AZ I think! Where and who is KMS?

thanks

Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 06 YFZ ride any smoother than the 05's and 04's

Old 10-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

We have both the 05 and 06 YFZ with stock suspension. I couldn’t tell any difference between the two but I just asked my partner and he said maybe a "little" better on the 06. The raptor does ride nice but we also have an 4 year old 650 DS and man that thing rides like a Cadillac if your going to do the dunes.

Hope this is helpful!

Steven

Old 10-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

i bought an 06 rappy (its still completely stock) and took it to little sahara dunes in okla. i spent the good part of my time at the drag strip, and there were two matching 06 yfzs there. both guys had previously owned 05's so they knew how to ride. we lined up along with about 10 other quads and the ONLY quad in front of me was a pred with cams, a port and polish job, full exhaust and other goodies. i put a good 2 links on both 06 yfzs. and we all weighed about the same. i also have a predator and im thinking of trading it in on another rappy. its an amazing machine

Old 10-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

I came very close to buying a predator but didn't like what it had to offer for ME! Its great all purpose machine but not too many parts to really build it. I creamed all the stock predators at the dunes by 5 or 6 bike lengths. Thanks for sharing about your raptor experience. I raced a modified 650DS which rarely loses to anyone and he told me the raptor was a very strong bike after we raced. Nice to hear that from people who have been around the block. hell, I'm still learning to shift properly for the racing I'm doing..haha

THANKS

Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

rawfast.... was there a noticeable difference before and after the mods? i rode at a local track last weekend and a guy and his wife had new raptors also, one had a big gun pipe and the other didn't, he said they were about the same in drag races..................but then again, without a aftermarket efi controller the efi may not make up for the pipe upgrade. does anyone have any information on that?

Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

have you rode a predator? it still puts a smile on my face. i have not been beat by a piped yfz yet on it, but i haven't raced a 06 yfz though...i believe that they will be close. have you seen the new limited edition raptor? go to yamaha-motor.com it is nice!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not super impressed with the Big Gun pipe and would rather get a sparks but it wasn't my call on this deal I took what I got. What I did get was a great TFI and air box. So, I can believe the big gun is just a mediocre pipe and there are better pipes. Performance is all about breathing both in and out. What’s nice about the Dobeck TFI is you can tune it to match any air/pipe combination you want. Yes it is a little challenging to tune and I would suggest a dyno to do so but once its set...just plug and play. And the fuel injection is so nice when you change altitudes. Just make sure you have jumper cables cuz you aint pull staring this machine.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

yes I did ride the Predator and it was a VERY nice bike. In fact, if I was more of a trail rider I would for sure get that bike. Its pretty fast, great for et trails and they just don’t break cuz they're built like a tank. And if you build it, you can still trail ride and have a super fast bike for racing. I have decided not to split the bike into two versions.. I'll build the raptor for the hill and other racing and fin me another bike for trails, And yes it will be an automatic. That shifting on the trail is for the birds!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

we have been looking at the trinity efi controller, and some dual exhaust. my stock raptor puts about 2 links on my predator. every month we will go to atoka sand drags, i run a 5.80 on my pred, which is not too bad. i haven't run the rappy yet. you should visit little sahara dunes sometime, you can find it on the internet. we don't really have any uphill racing around here, there is a little at the dunes. i have some skat-trak haulers coming in for the raptor, in fact, they were supposed to be here about a week ago. your right about building the preds. there aren't a lot of parts for them, but ive seen a 600 big bore kit for them, get some port and polishing done along with other things available and those suckers will fly! the one at little sahara i told you about didn't have anything serious done to it and it put probably 3-4 links on me. well i think im going to call it a night, thanks for the input, and let me know about other mods on your raptor

Quick Reply: 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ