Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rappys with bike motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rappys with bike motors

How come I never see any raptors with bike motors in them. If anybody has any pictures of them I would really want to see them. I don't like seeing all of these Busa DS quads and no raptors I wanna see a raptor with something mean like that in it.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you seeing these DS's with Busa motors? I would love to see one of those things go! I can't even imagine being able to hold on to a quad with 175 + HP

Old 10-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

just go and dig through the bombardier forum and you will find some pics, and other stuff.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: thedieselkid
How come I never see any raptors with bike motors in them. If anybody has any pictures of them I would really want to see them. I don't like seeing all of these Busa DS quads and no raptors I wanna see a raptor with something mean like that in it.
There are plenty of bike engined raptors around, even on this site. Some using fzr1000's, some R1's, some CBR's, and lots of others especially in the 600 cc range. Most of the guys with these machines; raptor, ds or otherwise, dont post much. Derbyking is one of the more active members and has a bike engine in his raptor.

The heavier, stronger, larger and more stable frame of the ds is simply a better starting point for most of these engines, that's why there are a high number of them. But with the sheer number of stock raptors that yamaha has sold, I dont think I could definitively say that more ds's have bike engines than raptors.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

Does anybody have any info on what this takes, and what type of costs are involved. I have a rolling chassis 2002 rappy, but no motor or trans, and it needs just a few things, instead of parting it out I may do a litttle experimenting with a bike motor, then sell it when I am done. How fast are they with a 600 motor. maby a yzf600 motor, or an r6 motor.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

On Banshee hq there are some videos of a Raptor with a 600RR engine in it.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

got one with an z6 motor...needs final wiring

Old 10-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I would guess the reason you dont see to many rappy with street bike motors in them is because most of them literally look like CRAP ! Honestly Some of the motor conversions I have seen are truly embarrassing.
I have done 2 bikes to this point. Several months ago I put a gsxr 750 into a DS and 2 weeks ago just finished the fab work on an 01 Rappy with a gsxr1000 and I gotta say booth bike looks pretty decent (even without paint at this point)
Its not easy to do the install and make it look clean. To do it right, you need access to a complete machine shop and you really need to know how to do some engineering otherwise your gonna have all kinds of chain and swingarm problems.

I gotta tell ya though. After doing a Rappy and a DS, the DS was easier and just because of the width of the plastic up front, a big motor looks more natural in a DS. JMO

If you want to see pics of the DS I did check out the pic gallery of forum member "Dstroyer".

I dont have any pics of the rappy yet just this one vid where I broke the shifter just before the race so I pulled a 2nd gear hole shot and hit the rev limiter about 3/4 track. The track was sand and slightly uphill. The bike was clocked at 74mph in 2nd gear. No time slips were available.
1000cc Rappy
This race was against a Snomoquad on the bottle.
You can see in the vid that I even let off the gas 20ft before I tripped the finish lights. After hitting the rev limiter at 3/4 track, It obviously stopped accelerating. LOL

Old 10-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

I am really interested in dong this with my other bike. could someone that has done on please let me know what the main issues are and what type of time it takes to do this conversion. Thanks

Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Heres a partial list of what you need.
30 ft of chromolly tubing and a Tube bender
The ability to weld steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.
The ability to be able to design and build custom parts using a CNC machining center and a CNC lathe
Misc metal working shop equipment
Enough smarts to know how to do it with out someone telling you how to do it.
This is no slam on anyone, but if your not smart enough to be able to figure it out on your own, this isnt somthing you should be attempting to do. You could literally kill yourself.
This is NOT something the average person should attempt.

Quick Reply: Rappys with bike motors