Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

supercharger vs turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger vs turbo?

I know what a turbo is. but it gives more of the power the faster you go. It makes the vehicle lag until you force lots of air into it for the maximum power. But what about a supercharger. I heard it is something that allows for maximum acceleration. Is this true? do they make superchargers for atv's for the races where you need accelerations?

Old 10-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

As far as know there is no supercharger for a fourwheeler. Any supercharger setup ive seen worked off of pulleys and belt, like on an automobile. But i know that there is a fan that was designed for automobiles too be placed in the air intake. And once air started flowing through the intake someway it made sort of a tornado action for the airflow and supposively makes it run better. And so maybe something of this sort could be fashioned for the air intake of a fourwheeler. OK gotta run and get the patent on that before anybody reads this. Later.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen quads running superchargers. Check out the link below, pretty sweet 400EX if you ask me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Eh, not sure what you have heard about superchargers and turbos, but they dont work with relation to "speed".

A turbo uses the exhaust gasses (very fast moving) to spin a turbine, and that turbine also acts as a pump (actually its a different turbine on the common shaft)
and compresses the air into the intake.

A turbos power/boost is directly related to engine RPM.
Turbo lag is the turbine spooling up under throttle. Usually small turbos (ATV, or small car turbos) the lag will be minimal due to the small lightweight turbine spooling up quickly.

A supercharger is belt driven, and I dont know of any ATV applications, nor do I see a way to use them due to lack of external pullies to drive the supercharger.
Superchargers in cars/trucks/boats ect create more low end torque/less lag than turbos, but ultimatly turbos are usually able to make more overall power.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fairly sure I saw a supercharged atv in one of the rags, I'll take a look around and see if I can dig it up. I want to say it was both super'd and turbo'd.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Superchargers although make very impressive power they do "rob" horsepower due to the engine moving the belt for the unit itself. This problem is often disregarded because they make a lot more power then they take. Therefore a turbo is considered "free power" because it does not consume any horsepower to operate. And there are also many styles of superchargers which some use belts and some are beltless.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
I'm fairly sure I saw a supercharged atv in one of the rags, I'll take a look around and see if I can dig it up. I want to say it was both super'd and turbo'd.
Page 36 of the October 2005 Dirtwheels. Top right hand corner, yellow raptor. Description is as follows:

SUPER RAPTOR
Dear Dirt Wheels,
My 727cc Raptor has an Eaton Supercharger, Haltech programmable fuel injection, intercooler, JE piston, stage one cam, ported head and oversize stainless steel valves.
David, Redfern
Connersville, IN
But looking at the picture the "super charger" is mounted on the exhaust port and I dont know of an intercooled supercharger. That must be why I thought it was both, I saw a turbo and read the supercharger part.

Sorry for the false alarm, but at least someone out there THINKS they have one. These kinds of guys crack me up, plenty of money but no sense to know what they just spent it on.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible and benifitial to get both?

Old 10-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MarkFiddling
Yes and yes, in fact I believe VW is working on incorporating it into their next GTI.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: MarkFiddling
Yes and yes, in fact I believe VW is working on incorporating it into their next GTI.
Oooooo...whats a VW? Just playing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: supercharger vs turbo?