Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Good deal on 01 Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal on 01 Raptor?

Hey guys. We are buying our kids a Dinli 90 for Christmas. This has got me to wanting an ATV for myself. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one that will just be used to putt around the yard in an ocassionally load up and take to a track, dirt pit or the dunes. I know I will have to find an older ATV and fix it up. This week I found an 01 Raptor for sale near me. I looked at it with the owner's wife but wasnt able to drive it because the owner wasn't home. It is rough cosmetically. All the plastic is scraped up, the seat is torn and the rear tires are worn out. The guys wife mentioned where it was purchased and it turned out to be purchased from an employee of an old friend (who used to own a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership). He told me as far as he knew the Raptor was fine mechanically. He said the damage was done when the Raptor came off a trailor during a high speed tire blow out. The original owner told me the plastic and seat were damaged during the accident. He said he had to replace the subframe, exhaust and rear axle as they were damaged. He says the Raptor was fine mechanically, but he sold it before buying new plastic and a seat cover. I've heard about the tranny and starter problems on the 01's and he said the tranny never gave him any problems but he replaced the starter with an upgraded unit. He said he sold the Raptor about 6 months ago for $2500. The current owner is asking $2250 which is less than Kelly Blue Book trade in value. I know I can replace the plastic and seatcover for about $300 or so. I just wonder will this be a good project ATV. I'm supposed to go ride it today. Does anyone know of anything else I need to look for?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

I test drove the Raptor this afternoon. It runs strong. The only thing else I noticed wrong is the rear brake is squeeling. I guess it needs new pads. I offered the guy $1800. He is supposed to call me tomorrow after thinking about it. Any opinions? k

Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

If the rear brake is making noise, it is more likely a bent rotor that will cost you $100-$115 or so. I would not buy it. You have no idea of what if any maintenance was done to the quad. I has been in a serious wreck from your description and the 01 Raptor is the worst year you could buy a raptor. Be prepared to go through the gearbox and replace all of that. You can not replace all of the plastic and the seat for $300 unless you buy used plastic. Walk away from this train wreck and if you buy a used quad, try to buy it off of someone you know and have a grasp of the maintenace done on the quad.

The quad just sounds like it has been through alot of different hands and from the looks of it, has been owned by people who were rough on it.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, that's the problem with buying something used. However, I can't justify or afford spending $5 to $7K on a new quad. Honestly, it would only be used to putt around in the yard and ocasionally take to a dirt pit or track to play ride. I actually feel better about this Raptor because I was able to speak with the origional owner and a friend who knew the quad. The history of tranny problems is what really bothers me. I know the cosmetic stuff can be fixed easily. As for plastic, I was going by an add in a magazine for a set of Maier plastic for $300. After looking at it again, the plastic doesn't look much worse than a lot of used ATV's I've looked at. I don't think this owner had the bike long enough to do any damage to it. I guess we will see what happens.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

A Raptor is a lot of Quad just to put around the yard. Also, if you don't have a lot of experience with quads the power and high center of gravity will bite you when you least expect it. Because of it's tainted history and the fact that the 01 has a history of its own, if you can get it for $1,500-1,800 it may be a good deal as long as you have good medical insurance.
Look into some utility quads. I'm a Yamaha fan so I would suggest a Kodiak or Grizzly but the other brands are good too. I think you'll have more fun on it and it will be usefull around the house.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

I hear you![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't seen many sport quads that don't have a problem with rear brake squeal. I have a 2004 raptor that I bought brand new earlier this year and the rear brake squeals as does my Z400. Just put something under the swing arm to hold the rear tires off the ground and rotate the tires and watch the rotor as it turns for any warping. If the tranny is fine now and you won't be riding hard then I don't know if I would worry too much. Everybody talks about the Raptor being "tippy" but I haven't noticed any difference to my Z400, maybe that's just because I've ridden a fair amount and compensate with body language without thinking about it.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Range Rover

Since you do want something reliable and something that will put, but still go to the track and dunes. I would look into a Suzuki Z400. It sounds like it would be right up your alley, it would out handle a raptor. But serve your purposes I think. With some aftermarket suspension you would be good to go, that is if you plan on doing some serious jumping at a track or something.

Welcome to the Forums

Old 11-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Range Rover

I actually found a 2000 Honda 400EX that I'm gonna look at. THe owner says it's in great shape and has a Pro Circuit exhaust, new Holeshots and a Skin Industries graphics kit. He had it advertised at $3k, but has already told me he will take $2800. It's more than I want to spend, but I'm gonna look at it. Maybe it could be bought for less.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

The 400 EX is a good quad. It's air cooled but has no reverse. They're pretty reliable machines. Without seeing the quad I wouldn't go over $2,500.
Check Ebay to see what quads are selling for. You'll see they are going for quite a bit less than the seller origionaly was asking, especially this time of year.

Quick Reply: Good deal on 01 Raptor?