Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tower City Trail Riders

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower City Trail Riders

Have any of you'all been there. I went Saturday with a few friends. It was the most awesome place I've ever been riding. ( I have not yet been to Hatfield McCoy)

They claim to have 12,000 acres, and 500 miles of trials, it's a few miles down the road from Rausch Creek track.

There is every type of riding condition you can imagine, except sand. There is some serious hills there for those that like to climb. (I myself, ain't into climbing the big stuff) They have one there called Mt Everest, and it's serious. I couldn't guess at the height, but at the very top stretch it is almost a straight up climb. I enjoyed just watching others do it. It is a mountain of loose coal, and most climbers were riding utilities. But, there were 2 guys climbing it on sports. And, one got about 90% up, lost power, down shifted, front end came up, and back over. The guy went straight backwards with the bike coming back on top of him. He managed to stop rolling down the hill, but his bike rolled about 2/3 of the way down the hill, only to be stopped by a tree. There is no way he was ride that bike again that day. How he was able to get up and walk away from that crash, I don't know.

I was with 3 other guys. I was on my Raptor, then we had a Z400, and 2 Blasters. One of the guys had just finished putting jets and pipe on his Blaster, and unfortunetly his bike was not running right allday. Mine was running perfect, up until I broke my chain. :-( And we had only been riding for about 2 hours.

I got towed back in, loaded the bike in the truck and drove down to the local yamaha dealer. $112, and 2 hours later I had a new chain and was back riding again.

We ahd one guy with us on the other Blaster that was very inexperienced, so we spent alot of time waiting for him to catch up, and avoiding trails that were to technical.

My brother in law has the Z400, we decided we would have had alot more fun if it been just the 2 of us. I can't wait ot go back.

If any of you have never been there, I would stongly encourage you to check it out.

Here's a link to there website:
http://www.tctri.org/

Old 10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

No way they have 500 miles of trails. This is what Hatfield McCoy has across all locations. You must be confusing the two.

Wait until you want to go back soon and can't ride on Saturdays due to hunting season. You pay for an annual membership at Tower City but you quickly lose 8 good riding weekends. By the time you can ride, it is time for Christmas and New Year's. Then, it is colder than hell frozen over in PA until about the end of February and sometimes longer.

Both Hatfield and Tower are dusty in the summer. However, riding at Tower you might end up with Black Lung from all the coal dust.

rodnreel, go with your brother-in-law to Hatfield and you will forever view Tower in a different light.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

I've heard Hatfield McCoy was the best, but a little far for a day trip. I hope to get there next spring. As for Tower City, I've heard the black dust can be pretty bad, but no dust last Saturday.

And, the woman at the checkin told us 12,000 acres, and 500 miles of trails. ???

I am going to follow your advice and get to Hatfield as soon as I can. :-)

Old 10-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

Hey quad2xtreme,

We live in the same neighborhood. I live off Mountain Rd. Have you ever been to Southern Maryland ATV Park. I went a couple weeks ago. It was OK. Kinda small, but it's relativley close, and I like it close.

I get kinda bored riding in my backyard, not to mention, I'm tearing it up. :-)

Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't been there yet. I just started going to the Landing MX park in Easton though. They have a great beginners track and then a good intermediate track that I can only handle about 50% of the jumps. The park was designed for dirt bikes so you don't have much room coming out of some of the turns to get enough speed to clear the doubles plus some of the landers are kind of steep for a quad.

I am going to get a new quad soon I think just for riding mx.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

im there almost every sunday. I only live abt five minutes away from it, I can ride there from my house in about 20 minutes. let me know the next time you are planning on going up there. Maybe we can go riding together.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, I'm so jelous!

I wish I lived so close to a place to ride. It takes about 2-2.5 hours to get there from my house. I hope to go back real soon, just don't know when. They're closed for the next 2 weekends, right?

Hey, you're not one of those guys that climbs straight up Everest, do you? That's NUTS!