Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor powersliding

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had problems powersliding with the stock tires? To me they have too much side bite or I just need to get used to it. I have been able to on my wifes 300ex very easily but cant seem to do it on my raptor. Is there some tires that anyone would recommend for the raptor? I love getting sideways and everytime I try on the raptor I get up on two wheels which I can over come on turns but would be better if I could slide through the turns rather than balancing on the side 2 wheels through a turn. Also could I save some $$$$ and shave some of the outter knobbies? Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-29-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current (Nov) issue of ATV Actiom's shoot-out with the Raptor vs. the 400ex had a comment regarding the problem to the effect that altho it could be broken loose to slide it was more difficult to do and required more expertise. Probably the option is to switch to another tire. Another option would be to experiment with tire pressure. Depending on what you run now, a higher psi may allow more slippage. A method I use with my Bandits on "grabby" terrain is to stab the rear brake on entering the corner just before gassing it to break the rear end loose. With a little practice one can control the degree of slide quite well.

Old 10-29-2000, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

The tires do not lend anything to powersliding on the Raptor. I know that it is very difficult to get the same sliding action from the Stock tires on my Raptor than on either Stock 400EX tires, or Maxxis All-Traks on my 400EX. I am planning on putting SpiderTraks on my Raptor, and hope to gain a little slidability! The Stock tires are great for Wheelies, traction, and a plush ride, but don't help in the powerslide department. When I get my SpiderTrak's I'll post as to how well they slide.

Old 10-29-2000, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Spider tracks are BAD for sliding.I find it kind of wierd that owners of a "high performance" machine are discussing ways to make it "spin the tires" better. Kind of wierd, you'll never hear Banshee owners saying the same.Reminds me of when I was ten and wanted to do a donut on my ATC 70.

Old 10-29-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

No, the Raptor doesn't slide as well because of it's extra weight, taller, and slightly narrower stance.

Old 10-30-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have razors now and they seem to be perfect.This is my first time using these tires and i am very,very happy with the way they perform.They are also 6 ply which is what i wanted since i do really hard trail riding.The raptor does some awsome power sliding now though.

Old 10-30-2000, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

Nonsense.....mine does everything I ask it to...and then some!

Old 10-30-2000, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Ridzhard,

You are such a baby !

How many posts is this from you about the Raptor since October?? 4565 or so right? You dont own one..shut up already. Extra weight? compared to what. Too tall? compared to what? Too narrow ? Compared to what?

The Raptor's stock tires PREVENT sliding - PERIOD.

The appropriate tire - for the appropriate situation , will fix whatever needs fixed. These stock tires HOOK UP tremendously...physically, the best Ive ever seen for traction... I too do NOT like the stock tires, because I too, like to slide the turns. Its very hard, because the tires HOOK UP, and they ROLL OVER. A set of Razr's or Holeshots, with Super Sturdy sidewalls, and a flat traction pattern, will no doubt, make the Raptor slide much much better, probably identical to any other.

Do you mean the additional weight, compared to your Blaster ? or what?? The weight is within 20 lbs, of ANYTHING we are comparing here. Except the DS, which is 75 lbs heavier..now thats a difference..not 18 lbs. 400ex, Banshee?? all within very close weight. Make a point already...you have no clue..

Old 10-30-2000, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

hey x250rdude, i have run holeshots in the past and wondered how they compared to the razors. i've heard that the razor's don't have as much side bite as the holeshots and they wear out faster. what size tires are you running and how did they affect the body roll cornering problem? i to have a raptor and need new tire i was thinking xct holeshot's but thought that they might amplify body roll due to thier extra height. i ride in very rocky hard pack and need the extra clearance but not willing to sacrfice handling.

Old 10-31-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I don't care what tires you have, an atv supposed to have "open class power" should not have trouble spinning the tires. I think that its indicitive of mellow four stroke power?..Pray for a new 2stroke!

Quick Reply: Raptor powersliding