Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?

I swear both rides die within two weeks of each other!

1987 Banshee:

Starts cold, runs poorly low end, top end Ok but not great. Does not start hot unless you put new plugs in it, even then you get one shot at it. Better kick it over the first time! I can pull start it with another quad. Dropping the clutch with the throttle wide open just bogs bad, but does not die. Top end and bottom rebuilt < 20 hours on bike since rebuild. Plugs come out wet but not carbon darkened (new set that is). Ignition coil new (replaced with rebuild) stator new (replaced with rebuild) plug boots new (replaced when this all started last month) plugs like 8 sets gone though. Carbs rebuilt x2 (in case I missed something the first time through) reeds being replaced now (god knows why they looked fine but I will give anything a shot). No compression data but "felt" good with my finger over the plug holes. Filter clean. Gas newly mixed at 32:1.

1992 KX 250:

Ran great last weekend, get it home kick over once ... Fires then bogs and dies. Kick my leg off to no avail. Replace plug (was fouled), Carb rebuilt and rejetted a bit leaner dropped the needle, and went down a main jet size, rechecked pilot position was fine, no good. Compression tested at 90psi (I have NO idea what it is supposed to be at). Filters clean. Gas Newly mixed at 36:1.

Any suggestions/comments on either? Darn temped to sell 'em both and get a thumper, but I'd feel like a sell out.

Thank you,

Michael

Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help?

The compression on that KX seems pretty low, I would think it should be up in the mid 100's somewhere. I could be wrong but thats my guess. I notice you are from fresno. Ever been toward Dos Palos or Los Banos? Only about 40 miles from you. We got a pretty good ride spot down here if you are ever in the area.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help?

Originally posted by: montibank
Darn temped to sell 'em both and get a thumper

Thank you,

Michael

Thats exactly what I would do

Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Help?

Right on, thanks for the tip. This was my suspicion on this bike but I REALLY don't want to rebuilt it. I bought it not long ago for nothing and really don't want to put anything into it. Problem is I kinda fell in love with it. DARN! Well top end rebuild for that one!

Any ideas on the banshee?

Old 11-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default Help?

Never been there... Willing to go anywhere heh. Email me at montibank@hotmail.com when I get the bikes up and running perhaps I can head out on a run that way.

Thanks again,

Old 11-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help?

Well that banshee could be a number of things really. My jet ski does something simular to your shee, but once I get it warmed up it runs like a champ. A buddy of mine who owns a bike/ski shop seems to think that its a bad reed or a possible vaccum leak in the crank case. My cousins RM250 was doing something simular to your shee also, I soaked the jets in carb cleaner and blew some air through them and it cured the problem. I would definatly do a compression test if I was you. When you rebuilt the carbs do you clean the jets? What mods are on the bike? Did this happen suddenly or did it gradually get harder and harder to get running? Yeah definatly when you get running come on down and do some ridding. I'll add you to my messenger and BS with you on there. Let me know about all this stuff.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default Help?

Well... I am hoping that it was one of the reeds, since one was not quite seating all of the way. New reeds are in ran out of time tonight to work on it. Carbs will go back in tomorrow and I will kick it over and see then what I have. I will do a compression test tomorrow after work and post it. This came on rather suddenly, one weekend it worked great 2 weeks later starts once then - nothing. The vacume leak in the case theory scares me ... I have a oil leak in the case near the rear of the case. Oil leaks out when I stand it on its rear tires. My brother in law re-assembled the bottom end for me so I don't know where it might be comming from. Would that do it for a vacume leak?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Old 11-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help?

That reed could have been your problem. Let me make a phone call tomarrow about that leak in your case and I'll get back to you. Let me know what happens when you get it all back together.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help?

Bump

Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default Help?

Sorry for the delayed post, I got wife"-d". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ok banshee fired with new reeds in it (didn't have time to fire off a second time, see opening line.)
Compression is beautiful. I didn't even get 5 kicks into the testing it and I was up to 140 psig on both sides. I didn't bother going anymore since this was definatelly not the problem. Ran good on first start but I am afraid of letting it idle that lean to get warm. I don't want to stick the dumb thing. I have not had a chance to tinker more with it but I think the shee will get running by Saturday, after checking the jetting. *crosses his fingers*

Found out that I tested the compression wrong in the KX250, yes I am a moron it is official. I called someone and asked the right way... Compression is 125+ I think this is good enough but I will rebuild it for Christmas anyhoo. I also made another noob mistake, I didn't check the filter. Doh! Thought it would be fine after a 2 hour ride, guess what ... wrong! Was a bit dustier then I remembered. Ahh well. I still haven't started it but I suspect it will fire now. Needs a top end rebuild (always a good excuses for bigger, better, faster, more) but not as soon as I feared if it fires with clean air filter.

Vive le 2-strokes!

Thank you all for the help!

~Michael