Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Adjusting the raptor's front coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the raptor's front coilovers.

I know you need a special tool. but can you do it without. Also where do you find them? Dealer?

Now as far as adjusting.. I ride trails(fast widing ones, almost like enduro) and I will be riding on my lake in the winter, but I also like to hit up the Supercross and motocross when the place is open. I was wondering what would be the best setting for either situation? I figured softer for trail and harder for the track. The only thing I am iffy about is if I tighten it up wouldn't it be more tippy considering it will want to lift the tires isntead of comrpssing the suspension?

What do you guys think. Also I might buy the YFZ450 coilovers, I go a good deal, what do you think about them, how do they compare?

MIke.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

If you are talking about adjusting the "pre-load" on the front shocks, you don't need a special tool. A good set of channel locks will suffice.

For trail riding, you'll want to soften the spring tension or pre-load. You can run a raptor on motocross and supercross tracks successfully, I know from experience. However, it's not as fun as a modded raptor with better suspension or a YFZ. I left my shock settings stock when I raced it before swapping out my shocks. And they were fine. They were brand new, mind you, but they were fine. Considering that yours is an '04, you'll probably be alright for another year before the shocks really start to fade.

The YFZ shocks are much better because they have a wider range of adjustment in the front.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

If you can get the YFZ shocks then do it as they are pretty good for stock. I have Elka Triple rates with Piggy back rezi's on my Raptor and my buddy has the YFZ's on his Raptor and there pretty close to the same feel. The Elka's are a better shock and can be adjusted easier but for trail riding you'll love them. They are so much nicer then the stock Raptor's.