Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HOW TO JUMP

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO JUMP

Don't waster your time trying to build a ramp out of wood. A ramp has to have the proper curve to it at the bottom. There are companies that build freestyle ramps. Check them out and you will see the complexity in building a ramp. Even they don't try to build adjustable ramps.

/Jon

Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default HOW TO JUMP

I personally believe you should try and center your body over the quad. I dont subscribe to the lean way back off the seat. Just accelerate off the jump. if your weight is centerd on take off your in a better attack postion to push the front down while lockin the *** end up or pushin the rear down by hammering the gass and slammin your ***. plus to level your quad out if you take an off kilter jump its agin gonna be easier from a more nuetral position [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

Originally posted by: axlr8or
Hah, hes riding a raptor! Saying "Gas it" at the end of the jump is probably not a good idea. Fortunately, all of us here in the thread probably know what I'm talking about. When I started jumping my friends rappy, I quickly found that gassing his at the launch would almost tip me over backwards. Throttle modulation is very important on a bike that light with so much power. Unless your already in high gear when you hit it, becareful with your thumb.

Yep, just keep progressing in jump size, whats wrong with that? Practice makes perfect (I hope)
I really meant "blip the throttle" but it's a good poitn about the amount you do that beign proportional to the size of your machine. I have to give it all I can but then again I'm launching a beast into the air. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

To catch huge air all i do is run across the water and flap my wings. take a quick poop to lighten the payload and up i go.. where i land its always a mystery.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

get a tractor and build a small table top in the back yard , maybe 10 or 15 feet long and about 3 ft tall its a great way to learn and work on your preload (pushing down on the bike at the bottom of the jump) after you have it down cut out the center section and try your first double. good luck and be safe

Old 11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

Originally posted by: bruteforcebob
get a tractor and build a small table top in the back yard , maybe 10 or 15 feet long and about 3 ft tall its a great way to learn and work on your preload (pushing down on the bike at the bottom of the jump) after you have it down cut out the center section and try your first double. good luck and be safe
what exactly is preload, is it, at the landing i push down on the front and using my legs as suspension also, sorry i dont quite understand what is meant by preload,
on little jumps i do, on the landing i find it a bit hard to hold on with my arms when hitting the ground, is this normal and jus something i will get used to ??

Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

When you are driving towards the jump, make sure you get your butt off the seat. Let go off the throttle to about 1/4. Once you are about to the jmp or about 1 second away, put the throttle wide open (press it all the way). At the same time, during the liftoff, push your feet down against the pegs (preload). How much pushing (preload) depends on how much air you want. The more preload, the higher you'll go. The less preload, the further you go without as high of a preload. When in the air, stand up so you have more better control of the quad in the air. When your in the stand up position, you can easily shift your weight to the right or left if the quad gets off balance. When in the air and you feel the quad "dipping" foward, hit the rear brakes, which causes the back to go down at a faster rate than just tugging the handlebars. When your in the air, and you feel like the back is going too far back, then hit the throttle. When you land, land with the back "slightly" before the front wheels for a softer impact, unless you have a lowering kit which you would want to land with all four wheels. As you can see, it's not that diffucult! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

Originally posted by: MarkFiddling
When you are driving towards the jump, make sure you get your butt off the seat. Let go off the throttle to about 1/4. Once you are about to the jmp or about 1 second away, put the throttle wide open (press it all the way). At the same time, during the liftoff, push your feet down against the pegs (preload). How much pushing (preload) depends on how much air you want. The more preload, the higher you'll go. The less preload, the further you go without as high of a preload. When in the air, stand up so you have more better control of the quad in the air. When your in the stand up position, you can easily shift your weight to the right or left if the quad gets off balance. When in the air and you feel the quad "dipping" foward, hit the rear brakes, which causes the back to go down at a faster rate than just tugging the handlebars. When your in the air, and you feel like the back is going too far back, then hit the throttle. When you land, land with the back "slightly" before the front wheels for a softer impact, unless you have a lowering kit which you would want to land with all four wheels. As you can see, it's not that diffucult! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
well... looks like violin is finally ANSWERING a question, this is one for the record books, and yes you were correct too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

Originally posted by: warriorguy22
well... looks like violin is finally ANSWERING a question, this is one for the record books, and yes you were correct too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I always answer questions! And I always get them correct too.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

When in the air and you feel the quad "dipping" foward, hit the rear brakes, which causes the back to go down at a faster rate than just tugging the handlebars. When your in the air, and you feel like the back is going too far back, then hit the throttle.
Actually, isn't it the other way around? I know I've always heard it the other way around. The only way to ever effectively test this would be by getting massive air. You know, like a 7-10 second hang time.

Quick Reply: HOW TO JUMP