Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HOW TO JUMP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO JUMP

hey guys im just wondering how i should jump on my rappy, should i put my right leg over first then sit on it or put my left leg over first haha..... ah no im doing some little jumps about 3foot in the air, could somebody please walk me through the steps of jumping, is there a trick to it (besides just practice) i want to jump this old car in a field, the car has a ramp goin up to it and the landing is flat and the same level as the run up to it, shoud i pull the front up the front a bit so i land on the rears first or should i try land flat, ive very little experience but ive plucked up the courage to jump higher, how did you guys progress to bigger jumps

Old 11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Range Rover
Default HOW TO JUMP

I like to get a good run at the jump and right before I hit the top give it more gas and a little tug on the handle bars to keep the front end up. Landing flat can some times be a little hard on the bones I try and land rear tires first. You may prefer to land flat and nothing wrong with that . All I can say is practice until you are ready to jump it . Good luck and happy landings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

thanks for the reply 04raptor, it does feel better landing on the rears first alright

Old 11-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

This is how I understand it and it seems to work for me. It gets me and my 516 lb quad in there (about 750 lbs of mass) so I guess it works. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

When you approach the jump, come up off the seat and lean back. When you approach the top of the jump gas it. Stay leaned back to the rear tires come down first.

Stay on the throttle. It's probably your natual instinct to lay off the throttle but don't. You will do more harm than good that way.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HOW TO JUMP

Hah, hes riding a raptor! Saying "Gas it" at the end of the jump is probably not a good idea. Fortunately, all of us here in the thread probably know what I'm talking about. When I started jumping my friends rappy, I quickly found that gassing his at the launch would almost tip me over backwards. Throttle modulation is very important on a bike that light with so much power. Unless your already in high gear when you hit it, becareful with your thumb.

Yep, just keep progressing in jump size, whats wrong with that? Practice makes perfect (I hope)

Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

thanks for the reply guys, its a bit scary at first, i practice my landings by coming off this 15foot hill it has a really steep side and when im on top of the hill i go fairly fast so the bike goes in the air coming off the hill that way i get a good feel for landing, does this make sense
thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

this might help dirtwheels

Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

instead of 'gas it' its more like 'BLIP' the throttle at the very top of the jump...

make sure you hold and maintain your speed going up the face of the jump also..

deffinately lean back hovering over the rear of the seat, and blip the throttle at the top of the jump...

as for pulling back on the handlbars, its usually not needed, just blip the throttle a little harder.

dont jump 'steep bumps' either, thats a good way to go over the handlebars and get ran over by your own quad.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOW TO JUMP

push down on the bars at the bottom of the jump to help preload the suspension and the front will come up on it's own from the rebound then you can concentrate on sticking the landing and not trying to get the front up.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default HOW TO JUMP

i was thinking about building a height adjusting ramp to practice on out the back of my house, would this be a good idea,
much appreciated and you have all been very helpful

Quick Reply: HOW TO JUMP