Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

stripped nut on rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped nut on rear wheel

uh oh i just stripped one of the nuts on the rear wheel of my rappy 660, the threads on the hub are fine i just wore down the nut to where a socket wont grip to loosen it, has anyone had a similar problem and have any tips on getting the thing off, are the nuts alluminium because i was thinking of welding some sort of metal rod to the nut just to get a turn on it, the nuts on the rears been so deep inside the wheel makes it very hard to get tools into it to grip it somehow
thanks

Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I usually use a grinder and flaten 2 side so I can use a vise grip or a key to take it out.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

good idea never thought of that, you say usually ?? does this happen regularly, what nuts will i have to get once its off, ill buy a full new set
thanks for the reply

Old 11-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

Craftsman makes a kit for removal of stripped nuts.Works great.......

Old 11-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: 3wheelerdude
I usually use a grinder and flaten 2 side so I can use a vise grip or a key to take it out.
This is what I always do.

And don't feel bad, I have stripped a lot of nuts and bolts when I was younger. To bad I can't say the same thing about the ladies.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

get a metric or std socket one size smaller and hammer it on the nut. then just take it off. Ive done this lots of times and it works. Usually the cheap chinese or taiwanese crap is what I use to do this since I can just leave the stripped nut in the socket and throw both out.

Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: 3wheelerdude
This is what I always do.

And don't feel bad, I have stripped a lot of nuts and bolts when I was younger. To bad I can't say the same thing about the ladies.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LOL i have no problem stripping the ladies either

Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: caliraptor
get a metric or std socket one size smaller and hammer it on the nut. then just take it off. Ive done this lots of times and it works. Usually the cheap chinese or taiwanese crap is what I use to do this since I can just leave the stripped nut in the socket and throw both out.
ill give this a shot in the morning when i get new nuts, couldnt bare having the wheel off for too long, taking up my riding time

Old 11-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

dont feel bad,,,i spun a stud on the front wheel on my grizz once,and couldnt get the whhel off

i had to go in through behind the wheel with a cold chisle and chip away at it until it fed through

Old 11-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: HooPharted
dont feel bad,,,i spun a stud on the front wheel on my grizz once,and couldnt get the whhel off

i had to go in through behind the wheel with a cold chisle and chip away at it until it fed through
id say that was a pain in the a$$, what is it with every nut and bolt on the thing they are so soft, i just broke one of the covers off the exhaust valve using a torgue wrench, ya know the round shaped lids with the shape of a nut coming out of it covering the valves, luckily i managed to pick one up off a mate
silly me

Quick Reply: stripped nut on rear wheel