Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 Kodiak 450 - Loose Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Kodiak 450 - Loose Handlebars?

The handlebars on my 2005 Kodiak 450 seem to be way too loose for a machine with only ~ 200 miles on it. There is a slight bit of play in them when pulling either way on the handles left or right. This appears to be normal (but I still think mine are too sloppy) from checking out a couple of my buddies 4 wheelers. I also felt the handlebar play on another '05 Kodiak 450 of a guy I saw out riding trails yesterday, and his did not have this slack like mine.

But, mine also have play in them when I hold the handles still, and move the whole unit back and forth horizontally (side to side or front to back). It's like the plane bearing assembly or something is not right. The handlebar slop was like this before and after I had the tie-rod ends replaced per the recall on this bike, so I'm pretty sure this is due to something in the steering column.

Do any other '05 Kodiak 450 owners notice you have excessive slack/play in your handlebars, and if so, did you take it in to have them fixed? I have about 2 months left on the factory warranty, and wonder if this is covered under that. Do you think my dealer will replace the steering column bearings just because I think it's needed?

Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the dealer will not replace anything just because you think it's needed. However if you talk to them about the problem they may agree that you have a mfr. defect and fix it for you.

At the very least I would call and talk to them about it. They will probably ask you to bring it in, if not call Yamaha directly and see what they say. I have a feeling they will want to work with you if you explain your problem to them. They won't want to ignore a problem that might get them in legal trouble if someone gets hurt.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply Loanshark. I am gonna call the shop where I bought it and see what they say. I'll probably take it in this week sometime because they'll have to check it out. I was wondering if any other '05 Kodiak 450 owners noticed this on theirs also.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 2005 Kodiak 450 and have this same issue. I was going to replace the bushing myself until the recall came in on the front axle. Mine goes in for the new parts in a couple of weeks so I am going to talk to them about it then and see what they say and if it can be fixed under warranty. I will keep you posted as to what I find out and if you find out anything sooner let me know...

Thanks

Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

As far as the "slop" in the wheels not turning when you slightly move the handlebars check the nut on the bottom.
Mine and many in our group has had that problem.As far as the general looseness it seems to me that Most Yamahas I have been around have that incl our Grizzs.I ended up replacing my plastic bushings on my Kodiak because it was bothering me.After a while they seem to squeak anyway.Be careful if you use a powerwasher on it.You will blow the grease out of the stem bushing.
02 650 Camo

Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey KodiakClimber, did you ever take yours in and have them check out your steering? If so, what was the outcome?

I finally got off my lazy **** and took mine in the other day. The svc dept. at my dealer tightened up the top part of the steering column so it's alot better than it was, but still not quite perfectly tight as it seems it should be. He said there was no problem with the plane bearing (which is plastic) and that it looked ok, so it wasn't replaced. He also said this is a characteristic that's inherent to Yamahas, even their snowmobiles. Seems to me saving a few cents to use plastic instead of a good metal part in such a vital area is a bit chincy on the manufacturers part.

Btw, it was no charge to me since I was still within the 6 month factory warranty.

kodiac1, you say you replace the plastic bushing/bearing. Do you mean with one that's metal? If so, where did you get that? I might just do that myself if this thing begins to get loose again. Thx.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually replaced the 2 part plastic bearing/bushing.This is where the slop is coming from.The hardest part changing it is getting the two o-rings to stay in place when putting the outer part on.If memory serves me right they were grey.It definetley took out alot of the movement.