Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sellin raptor for yfz.....plz inform bout yfz

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sellin raptor for yfz.....plz inform bout yfz

I have ridden a 2005 yfz 450 and all i have gotten was a glimpse of what the stock power is like.I will be getting a 2004 or 2005 yfz.

#1:Are there any differences between the 2004 and the 2005?

#2:What are the most likely problems to happen within the first few months of owning a brand new yfz (if there are any).

#3:I hear maitenaince is easy on machine, is this true?

Btw, sellin 660 because of maitenence reasons...too hard to work on.Clutch case is just a pain in the cornhole to remove.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fasterthanyou22
I have ridden a 2005 yfz 450 and all i have gotten was a glimpse of what the stock power is like.I will be getting a 2004 or 2005 yfz.

#1:Are there any differences between the 2004 and the 2005?

#2:What are the most likely problems to happen within the first few months of owning a brand new yfz (if there are any).

#3:I hear maitenaince is easy on machine, is this true?

Btw, sellin 660 because of maitenence reasons...too hard to work on.Clutch case is just a pain in the cornhole to remove.
#1) Practically just the seat, and the clutch and brakes are made out of aluminum for 2005. That's practically it.

#2) Don't know

#3) Don't know

Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, quite a few important things were fixed. Decompression plug, headlight issue, etc. Some of these may have been fixed in later production runs of the yfz, but I'm not sure which if any.

2. Depends on what year, 05 seems to be the most reliable so far.

3. IMO the yfz is a little more difficult, especially when it comes to piston/ring replacement. Raptor is big, but simpler from the limited work I've witnessed/done on yfz's.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

The raptor is by far the worst bike from yamaha to work on...lol(660).You have to remove and or lift the motor just to get the clutch cover off...which the clutch cover is the whole side of the bottom case, lol...

Old 11-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The raptor is by far the worst bike from yamaha to work on...lol(660).You have to remove and or lift the motor just to get the clutch cover off...which the clutch cover is the whole side of the bottom case, lol...
Nah not too bad, just remove one extra bolt and you can get the cover off without too much drama. If anything its the carbs you should be complaining about.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the dell booted me off b4 i could get my message out the first time....damn dell...

All 2005 ?'s from here.

#4:Is there any dramatic power differences between the 05 and the 06 yfz, or is it just barely noticeable.

#5:How well does it perform on open hilly fields next to say....660, z400, modded 400ex's, trx 450...those are what i will be riding with.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Nah not too bad, just remove one extra bolt and you can get the cover off without too much drama. If anything its the carbs you should be complaining about.
Oh yea..that one that likes to hide under the heel guard part of the frame...eww, that bolt is ugly.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

#1... from what i've heard not too much has changed, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think something on the suspension changed

#2... nothing has really happened too bad to mine, the seal and o-ring behind the sprocket did go bad though.

#3... mediocre I guess you could say, depends on what you are doing the maintenance on.

#4... nothing in terms of performance that you will notice, I actually like the 05's performance more than the 06's... the 06 seat is softer though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

#5... you should be ahead of the pack, the 450r's may give you a run for your money, but this is a Yamaha forum so the YFZ is faster[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warriorguy22
#1... from what i've heard not too much has changed, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think something on the suspension changed

#2... nothing has really happened too bad to mine, the seal and o-ring behind the sprocket did go bad though.

#3... mediocre I guess you could say, depends on what you are doing the maintenance on.

#4... nothing in terms of performance that you will notice, I actually like the 05's performance more than the 06's... the 06 seat is softer though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

#5... you should be ahead of the pack, the 450r's may give you a run for your money, but this is a Yamaha forum so the YFZ is faster[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
lol...we all kow that it will blow it out of the water in here...once we step out of the yamaha turf though...then it takes some effort to beat it...

Old 11-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Also.....for 2005

Does it ever feel like it is ripping you off the quad on various terrain...

How is the peg position for your feet, do they slip off often like they do on the 660?

Wheelies, i hear they are as easy as on the 660, is that true?

And do you know if it beats the 2005 honda 450 in drag/track/handling/raw power?

Quick Reply: Sellin raptor for yfz.....plz inform bout yfz