Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 Wolverine breaking up under acc.........NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Wolverine breaking up under acc.........NEED HELP!!

parking brake or flooded from travel with carb petcock on are two possibly causes for sure. i definatly reccomend a parking brake block off plate. saves some weight and that parking break never stays ajusted anyways

Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

I have to agree with the majority...parking brake switch.

The switch we are talking about is located on that same parking brake assembly. If you look closely, there are (5) black "cables" that come up the Left side of the handle bars.

- There are (2) very rigid ones. One actuates the rear brake through the rear brake pedal on the Right. The other rigid one actuates the parking brake.

- The third one is a fairly large one that is pretty flexible that goes to the main switch for the headlights, starter, and kill switch.

- The remaining two go to (2) separate switches. They are the thinnest "cables". The one that is the lower of the two is actuated by the rear brake lever. It allows you to start while in gear, IF you have the rear brake lever pulled. If you follow this cable down, it will have a Black and Yellow wire.

***The last cable goes to the switch that is activated when you engage the parking brake mechanism. It comes in from the side and is on the top of the whole brake / parking brake assy. If you follow this wire down, you will find a plug with a Green and Yellow wire. Unplug this connector and see if it resolves your problem.

If it does take care of your problem, tape it off and leave it unplugged. If you don't plan on using the parking break, you don't need it. If you do plan on continuously adjusting the parking brake, so it actually holds when you expect it to, you better try fixing or replacing the switch. The function of this switch, in stock form, is to tell the CDI that the parking brake is on and you are about to smoke your rear pads and warp your rear brake rotor. The CDI than says to itself...this big dummy left his parking brake on and I better do something. He then breaks up the voltage to the ignition coil, thus signaling us that something is wrong, because this thing is running like crap.

Hopefully, this is your problem, because it is an easy fix. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

That was the culpprit. You guys saved me from hours of aggravation. I will never use that damnbrake again. I CRC'd the hell out of it, and it still did it about an hour later. Thanks for the great advice!!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

No prob man, thats what we are all here for. Glad that was the problem