Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yfz450 vs 700 Raptor..ATV Action settles it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005 | 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yfz450 vs 700 Raptor..ATV Action settles it!

you drag race guys are a bunch of babies!! A 300 ft race only proves who has the most money to spend, so who cares about that crap. Come do some desert races then talk about which quad is better and which rider is better. And for the record honda has kicked everybodys but all over this year,except the yfz took the GNCC, and the Banshee still owns pikes peak, but which quad is curently winning the drag race series?? Oh thats right, they dont have one because nobody gives a crap!!!

Old 12-16-2005 | 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warwgn
you drag race guys are a bunch of babies!! A 300 ft race only proves who has the most money to spend, so who cares about that crap. Come do some desert races then talk about which quad is better and which rider is better. And for the record honda has kicked everybodys but all over this year,except the yfz took the GNCC, and the Banshee still owns pikes peak, but which quad is curently winning the drag race series?? Oh thats right, they dont have one because nobody gives a crap!!!
Hey warwgn, I was thinkin about pickin up some YFZ shocks somewhere for my cousin for x-mas for his rappy. How much better do they feel over the stockers on your bike?

Old 12-16-2005 | 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Made a huge differance, it lowered the front a coulpe inches and makes it wider at the same time. It feels alot more controlable than the stock shocks. Not as good as elkas or others but for 150 - 200 bucks it is well worth the cash, I also talked to works awhile back and they were devloping a replacment spring upgrade for the YFZ shock. They said about 4-6 weeks before they would be available so any time now they should be out, and will be about 200 as well. So for roughly 400 bucks you will have a way better handling ride.

I plan on getting some Full Flight +1+2 a-arms and the spring replacement, also having them revalved with the gold valve upgrade for my weight and riding style. This should be very nice after that. I'll post up a full report after the conversion is complete. FYI, I choose Full Flight for cost, and they retain the stock mounting position for the lower shock eye so I dont need to get long travel shocks.

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warwgn
Made a huge differance, it lowered the front a coulpe inches and makes it wider at the same time. It feels alot more controlable than the stock shocks. Not as good as elkas or others but for 150 - 200 bucks it is well worth the cash, I also talked to works awhile back and they were devloping a replacment spring upgrade for the YFZ shock. They said about 4-6 weeks before they would be available so any time now they should be out, and will be about 200 as well. So for roughly 400 bucks you will have a way better handling ride.

I plan on getting some Full Flight +1+2 a-arms and the spring replacement, also having them revalved with the gold valve upgrade for my weight and riding style. This should be very nice after that. I'll post up a full report after the conversion is complete. FYI, I choose Full Flight for cost, and they retain the stock mounting position for the lower shock eye so I dont need to get long travel shocks.
Sweet.. Thanks for all the info. I like the stock suspension on the yfz so I figured it would be a vast improvment over the Raptors stock setup. Where did you find your yfz shocks?

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

The only people I've run into that dis "drag" types are those that can't hang with them... just kidding...

Seriously - I've been around long enough to know that everybody has their favorite riding type. I always slammed the desert guys when I was racing MX, and then during a Grand Prix, I got tired and they all passed me eventually. Now I'm not so arrogant. To each his own.

I wanted to add just this small bit of info since I'm going to buy another quad soon. It won't matter which quad wins in a drag race if you don't want to ride it anywhere else. Case in point - I don't like to ride my friends YFZ450 because it's way too harsh for average dune riding. It's fast and light, and can nearly hang with my CR in the whoops, but it beats the crap out of you in normal riding. By normal riding - I mean cruising. I was really happy with my Raptor until my friend did the cam mod, then I wanted more speed. Now, I'm looking for that "perfect quad" again.

I can't wait to ride a LT-Z450. Sounds sweet!

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor734R
Stock for stock the 700 will just take the 450, that was yamahas claim when the 700 first came out and that seems to be the case. A bolt on 450 is hard to beat, but when you start tearing into the motors the size advantage of the 700 will overtake the little 450 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I agree with you except the part that yamaha claims that the 700r will beat the yfz stock. Umm, where did you here that. That is why it ways on their own site and in magazine ads that the yfz is the fastest lightest weight production atv out there.
the only claim yamaha made was that in a drag race stock to stock the yfz would way out accelerate the 700, but the topspeed of the 700 was better.
As far as tearing into motors, the 700 will have a big advantage on the yfz, due to the cc's, your right

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZevil400
135Boom, I don't think either the 700 or the YFZ are impressive.

DSNUT, yes I am a mod, and with the suspension on my Z, on a track I probably could beat my R.

Well hey, your intitled to your opinion. thats cool. I am just curious though why you dont think there impressive, when everything I have ever heard about the two are so great! In personal experience, riding a buddies z400, I liked it alot, but it was a tad slow for my taste, and still didnt handle the way I wanted. If your looking for a great all around trail quad, they sure are nice. If your looking at a mx quad, seems to me you have to dump a lot of money on a z to make it run even with a stock yfz or trx?? Just my thought!

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorRandy27
Originally posted by: DSNUT
So...... clear this up for me. Who is dreaming?
I guess it depends on the YFZ and the guy riding it. I have beat a couple YFZ 450's and then a friend of mine who's a forum member handed me my azz up comp hill at Florence on his YFZ 450, but it has some mods as well as a set of ultra light triple buff haulers and he rides it well, so I wasn't at all suprised at the outcome.

I could have swore DS nut said that after break in his 700R was outrunning a buddies YFZ 450[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Am I Mistaken?
Thats cool. I have beaten a banshee with a big bore warrior before too. Doesnt say much for machine vs machine. I just raced my buddy, who has a stock yfz, and I beat him on my 700r. then we switched riders and I ate his a$$ for lunch on the yfz. Riders make a huge difference.

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

got the YFZ's from a friend who bought elkas for his YFZ.

And SandmanBlue, you are right just stirring the koolaide , and I hate the way the 450's (both of them) feel. They run great but are too small and light for my tastes, I'm sure I could get used to it if I had to and would probally be faster and not get as tired while racing since they are light but they just feel like toys. Its funny I always say the MX guys are nuts for those big jumps and tight stuff, they will get hurt too much. But they tell me I am nuts for running 70Mph in a dust cloud and passing another quad through some bushes at the same time I'm taking a drink from my cammel pack. I'ts all about riding, weather its for 6 seconds at a time or 3 hours, it's all fun. But there still a bunch of baby's!!!!

Old 12-16-2005 | 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ozark38
Originally posted by: DSNUT
So...... clear this up for me. Who is dreaming?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Evidently every 700R owner that ever said they beat a YFZ according to 135boom......GEEZ, get a clue!!!!!!!!
Sure the YFZ is fast, probably the fastest stock quad but when it comes to either 450, either Raptor, Predator or DS it WILL come down to your mods, tuning, and riding ability as to which one is truely faster. To bluntly say that one of these CAN'T beat another no matter what is a sure sign of a complete idiot...........I'm sorry to say but its the truth and anybody thats ever been around quad racing knows this............... .02

I absolutely agree with you, and never said anything to the contrary. Whats some peoples problems on hear. Your putting words in my mouth, I never said! Absolutely a modded anything, will usually beat a stock anything. A built banshee, will more than likely take the vast majority of 4-stokes in a straight line. built ds can take on a hell of a lot of things too. A 734 bulit up raptor can take a 450 in a straight drag. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO MONEY, AND HOW MUCH YOU CAN GET OUT OF A PARTICULAR MACHINE. a 700 has a lot more build potential then a yfz. All I ever said was, your not simply going to go out there and buy a 700 and beat everything, especially yfz's. Its not a safe bet that a 700 will beat a yfz in a drag race. ITS NOT THE NORM. The vast majority of the time the yfz will win. Sorry that some of you are in SUCH denial. That doesnt mean you cant get your 700 to slotter a yfz, but its going to take some work to get there especially if the yfz has the bolt ons like I have! You get your 700 up to almost 60 horse and come knocking. REALIZE, your going to have to have more than the power I have to beat me due to the weight difference, in less your a better rider than I am!
THERE IS SOME COCKINESS FOR YA "ONEFAST450R"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Yfz450 vs 700 Raptor..ATV Action settles it!