Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies

CTracingraptor. I run a 686 with nitrous on a stock swing arm and well and it sucks. Here is what my bike is like. first worthless, second wheelies if I want it to or not, third wheelies kinda a bad to, but I can get it to sit down, then it wheelies when i shift to fourth but sits down real quick, and fifth only wheelies when I want it to. with nitrous it is worthless though 2nd, third is kinda tough to deal with but it can be done, wheelies in fourth, and goes too fast in fifth for me to even think about a wheelie. I only weigh 125 so I don't really have the weight to keep the front wheels down. I am gettin a plus 4 sometime soon. Did you say that the longer swing arm affects the front shocks to.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

My stock swinger is worthless in the dunes. You hiccup and the front end pops up. But its fine in the slippery dessert. So, I just went with a +2. Maybe it will end up on back on ebay, we will see. I haven't installed it yet because I trying to figure out how to put the skid plate on so it doesn't look like a redneck Raptor.

I am running works front shocks which are precalibrated. I didn't want to bottom those out too hard. I figured a +4 would nose dive the bike.

I figure I can just add preload to my rear shock with a +2.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SuzukiLT250R
I know it help ideally for off the line drags and better balance
up hills. If I get an extended swingarm for my 2004 660 raptor
what will it be like for wheelies? I also like having the ability to
pull the front end up at will, will I just have to pull up harder??
Anyone with this setup please let me know,

Thanks!
I had a piped and jetted 2004 Raptor and just sold it, I had the 4.5 JTM on it and the only thing that made it pull wheelies was the Sand tires I got. I got the Ultra lites 7 paddle with a 72 inch roll out and it came up very easy. Before that, it was hard.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thedieselkid
CTracingraptor. I only weigh 125 so I don't really have the weight to keep the front wheels down. I am gettin a plus 4 sometime soon. Did you say that the longer swing arm affects the front shocks to.
Man at 125 lbs, I bet you are tough to beat on that thing.

I had a 80 lb kid on a stock 660 give my 210 lb *** a run for the money. It was halarious.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

a +4 swingarm doesnt make the front shocks any stiffer or need to be adjusted, my +2 arms did make me change the shocks though. how ever, with a +2 you can just get out the spanner wrench and trial an error on you swingy...master. or go down teh street at drop it off at palo verde suspension(highly recommended) stallion had the +4 swingy on his craycraft 686 and tehn after a few rides went to a +6. duning is way easier with a +2 or a +4.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Adding more swinger puts more weight on the front wheels, so you's need to add preload to springs to compensate. My front springs are not adjustable.

Palo Verde suspension....Is that to revalve and re-spring my rear shock? How much with that set me back? Can they put a perty color dual rate spring on there for me?

Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

jon at palo verde can do anything for you, excellent guy. and yeah he will install a new black eibach spring anf revalve everything. $300. but teh custom color spring you want is like $20 extra, give him a call he is a excellent guy his name is john lakovich, tell him you know me..john or stallion...robert. 623-463-3488, and your fronts are adjustable if you have teh spanner wrench, you can amke them softer or harder.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have Works front triple rate shocks with +2 +1 arms. It's precalibrated for my weight, riding style and arms. No adjustment and none needed so far. Id have to change springs if they start bottoming.

I will try these pale verde dudes! Thanks!

Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

thats great, jon at palo verde says he can get a set of yfz shocks on my raptor to out-perform the raptor works triple rates.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Don't use those YFZ shocks. They suck. All show no go. You'd waste your money. The only advatage over stock you will get is endurance. You won't soak up any whoops.

Get some Elka's or Works.

Now I am skeptical about this palo verde.

Quick Reply: Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies