Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies

MasterRaptor, I ditched my triple rate AT steelers when I got a hold of a set of take off yfz shocks. Paid less than half the price and the yfz shocks perform almost as well. I'm sure if I got them revalved they'd certainly outperform the works I took off.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maddog is correct. jon at palo verde is a hell of a guy. He says if i use the yfz on stock arm its still to stiff even for teh raptor. But since im a +2+1 a-arms, he's eyes light up and was like them.

As long as you use the stock YFZ spring on the raptor +2+1, he will re-valve them and re-work them, to run better than the raptor triple rate works.

master did you run teh yfz on your raptor on stock arms? and without re-valving them?

if his yfz set-up is anything liek the rear that i have from him, i will, be hella impressed.

besides its cheaper than $500 triple rates(WAY CHEAPER) and i cant affored the $850 for the TCS shocks yet.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I took the stock ones off my buddies yfz, tried them on my stock arms cause I was going to do the same thing. It was anti climatic. I switched to +2 +1 at the same time I went to the Works triples. Its a cadillac now.

How much are YFZ shocks?

Sweetquads was offereing ELKA recreationals to forum members for under $400.

What are you guys thinking???? Do you ride on pavement? Bonk yourself on your head for me.

Maddog,

Do you still have those trpl steelers?

Old 12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

No, I sold them and bought more parts for the quad. I plan on having my front and rear shocks revalved and rebuilt in the spring when I get a new swingarm. I'm currently running yfz stock fronts on +2+1 a-arms and a +2 swinger on a stock rear shock. The rear is a little soft, but it rides low and smooth.

I picked up a set of yfz stockers for 100, another for 150 that I picked up for a friend. I sold a pair for another friend and got 200 out of them, so prices vary.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Maddog,

With your +2 swinger, did you add spring preload and compression damping to compensate?

Does it go through the whoops better with your +2 and stock shock than with the stock swinger?

Do you bottom out in the rear now?

I am getting ready to intall my +2 swinger. I am curious how it will be with the stock shock.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My rear shock had seen much better days before I ever installed the +2, I increased preload, rebound and compression and it has worked quite well, still kicks back out when going through the whoops.

I've been on raptors with stock, +2, +4, and +6 swingarms. I really dont think you can beat the +2 for versatility, it handles great through rough terrain and turns well. Whoops at the bottom of the local sand hill are easier to blast through and launches are definately easier and faster. I never get more than a few feet off the ground and even then it's usually on accident, but I havent bottomed it out as of yet.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in the same boat, I have a janssen +2 that will be going on soon and was quoted 350 to re-valve and re spring the stock rear for the new set up. I have talked to works and they are supposed to have a dual or tripple rate spring upgrade for the YFZ shocks soon, cant wait for that. I broke a YFZ shock at the last race so got to get that fixed, and getting them both set up with the gold valve at the same time, so for now I am back on stock rappy fronts, and belive me it sucks after having the YFZ's on for a year. It handled like crap and feels bouncy now, oh well bout to take the bike down to the frame anyway and re-paint and inspect everything so dont have to worry about the rough ride, just no ride at all!!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Cool! Sounds like I made the right choice going to a +2. Yee Haw! Cant wait to try it at the dunes!

If you back kicks out in the whoops, that usually means your body weight is too far forward. Do you ride wheelies thru the whoops?

Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Cool! Sounds like I made the right choice going to a +2. Yee Haw! Cant wait to try it at the dunes!

If you back kicks out in the whoops, that usually means your body weight is too far forward. Do you ride wheelies thru the whoops?
What I meant was that the shock still has the strength left to extend between whoops in preparation for the next. I try to keep the front end skimming along the top of the whoops as I go through them but where I spend most of my time riding the whoops start 10 feet from the starting line so you cant always hit them like you want to.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

master with all the money you have in your bike, why dont you just up for another $300 and get a new shock with the new eibach spring.

Quick Reply: Raptor +4.5 swingarm & wheelies