Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Strange front diff problem, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange front diff problem, need advice.

Ok, maybe I figured out the problem on my brand new machine.
I got the rhino last week. I could drive no-handed down my paved street before yesterday.

Now it pulls hard to the left.

I just put it on jacks. In 2wd the front left tire is turning. I don't think it's supposed to do that.
When you go from 2wd to 4wd you can clearly hear the buzzing at it disengages. It sounds the same as it did before.

In 2wd the front left tire is turning as fast as the back tires. When I put it in 4wd both fronts are turning equal speed.

Your front left tire doesn't turn in 2wd I would guess.

With power going to the front left tire I think that explains the pull. It just started yesterday though.

What could the problem be? Any ideas on if it's something easy to check without taking it to the dealer. I am capable, so let me know.

I have no confidence in any dealer around here. On delivery I examined the machine and found that the oil dipsitck was sitting there, not screwed in at all. I was not happy. If I wouldn't have checked it that would have been bad.

Anyway, I'd rather not take it to the dealer.

What can I check to fix this?

Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange front diff problem, need advice.

Does it pull when in 4wd?

Can you stop that front tire from spinning? From what I understood in the post, you assumed it could be done but never tested it.

I am not familiar with how the front diff works on these new fangled quads. Is there any clutch up there or just a solid accuator? Can you remove it, and see if it is move ALL the way. Have you bent any of the steering linkage? Any slight drop in tire pressure will cause a perfectly aligned machine to go out of wack.