Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly More Power??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly More Power??

I just got a 2005 Grizzly, it is great but NEED MORE Power!! Here's the deal though, I am kinda trying to keep it quite!! If I have to change the exhaust I would like to keep it on the quite side!!! I do some riding to where I don't need anyone knowing I'm there!! Thanks For any advice. MIKE

Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

need more power for what? LOL
i would try a clutch kit, kn air filter, rejet carb
i have never heard a quiet aftermarket exhaust, although HMF has an "ecosystem" pipe that is supposedly quiet
450kodman

Old 01-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

You wont feel a power gain from a K&N. I wouldnt get a K&N for dusty conditions, they dont filter out the fine particles.

You will feel a power gain if you do airbox mods and rejet.

I hear clutch kits help quite a bit.

I read that you can also install kodiak 400 primary clutch weights in your stock clutch setup. They are lighter, which makes the clutch stay in 1st/low gear longer. Also makes the engine rev a couple hundred rpm's higher.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

witti....i dont know where you got your info about the K&N,but no dirt has gotton past my filter since i changed it to K&N,,,my boot is clean everytime i remove the filter for cleaning

lil miky,,,if you get the Pro Flo K&N kit your definatly doing your engine a favor,,,it has a flange that bolts to the airbox with a "O" ring seal,,,filter that clamps to that,and then has outerwares that wrap around the filter,while the filter, and outerware are sprayed with K&N breather treatment (spray oil),,,nothing,and i mean nothing is getting past that

if you get the K&N filter that simply replaces the stock filter,and slides in like the stock filter,you are wasting your money,,,your stock setup is pitiful,,,,it needs to be changed completely with the flange setup

you will notice some gains with just the filter,just not like night,and day,,,,if you add UNI vents to the lid,it will help even more,along with rejetting

rejetting isnt acually a performance gainer,simply rejetting a carb isnt a HP getter,,,,,,,,when rejetting is needed to be done is to get your carb tuned back in after air,or exaust mods,,,,these mods change the flow of air going in,and out of you engine,,ultimatly changing air/fuel mixture beyond adjustment with the air/fuel screw,which will require a larger jet

i wouldnt do a clutch kit unless your going to do over size tires larger than 26",,,doing a clutch kit will mess with the factory setup that is optimum for stock size tires,,,i dont think you will be happy,,,,either you will gain low end torque while losing top end,,,,,or you will gain top end,but being weak getting there,,,,the clutch kits are designed to regain the ratio's that were changed due to larger tires closer to stock again

as far as the quiet core exaust,ive read,and heard mix reveiws,and none lead me to believe its worth the $$$$$,,,they are restrictive,and offer limited HP gains,,,i believe 1/3 of a HP,not a 1/3 overall while being slightly louder than stock

Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I read it in a couple of places on the net, I also saw a filter test on a hotrod tv show. On the show they took some fine dirt and sprinkled it over several filters. The K&N let the most dirt through out of all of the filters. There was a dual stage filter like a uni, it hardly let any dirt through.

From what I read the K&N is good for dune riding, but not good in dusty conditions.

I was just passing along what I read/saw.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

LilMikey,
You will gain very little from an aftermarket exhaust, and nothing from a clutch kit. If you want more power the biggest bang for your buck will come from going inside the motor. I have a 2006 Rhino 660, which has the engine and auto clutch from the Grizzly ATV, and I noticed fantastic power gains for less than the cost of an aftermarket exhaust by doing simple bolt on motor mods. This Rhino will turn it's 27" tires much better, and accelerate harder than any of the three Grizzly 660s I have had, which is impressive considering it weighs 400 lbs more.

A stock bore wiseco 11:1 piston cost $82, a HotCams torque cam cost $110, and new gaskets cost another $30. That combo will make a night and day improvement in performance, and NO increase in noise what-so-ever. I would not waste your time with the 2 mm overbore 686cc, because with this motor you gain almost all of the additional power from the higher compression piston and new cam, and not from the extra 26cc.

I did the motor work on my Rhino when it had less than a hundred miles on the motor, so I did not even have to hone the cylinder to have correct clearance for the new piston. Assuming your motor has more miles on it than mine did, you will have to add another $25 or so to have your cylinder honed, and all of these prices are my cost, so it may cost you another 20% if you have to pay near retail. And the bottom of the cylinder is tapered, so you don't even need a ring compresser, and it is a totally bolt on installation.

Also be sure to open up the airbox and rejet the carb.

DV