Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

450 Wolverine Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 Wolverine Owners

Originally posted by: EasyQuader
OK, when in 4 wheel drive mode is the front and rear drive shafts locked togeather or do they both get power but not locked togeather. just like the rear end is locked, and the front diff puts power to both front wheels but they are not locked.
You lost me...........do you know how a 4x4 pickup works?
Well if the truck had a locker in the rear and no locker in the front it would be just like that.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Range Rover

I am talking about the transfer case, not the diffs. On some 4x4's the transfer case is more like and open diff. Some even have a transfer case that has a possi type unit in it. Kind of like some cars that have "all wheel drive" but not true four wheel drive.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EasyQuader
I am talking about the transfer case, not the diffs. On some 4x4's the transfer case is more like and open diff. Some even have a transfer case that has a possi type unit in it. Kind of like some cars that have "all wheel drive" but not true four wheel drive.
Its locked

Old 01-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Range Rover

I thought so. The sales people at a major Yamaha dealer here in So Cal didn't have the answer. I just want to know all I can before I lay down the green, thanks. You know of any other quirks about the machine that might be good to know?

Old 01-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

it is a very good bike.. you get muddyer then hell in the mud though but id is sweet i love mine wouldnt trade it for anything

Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I bought one back in late november. I love it.....it is perfect for my needs.......Here is a review after putting 125 miles on it.
Speed: well its no speed demon my friends honda 400ex walks away from me......but I walk away from another friends Arctic Cat 400 4x4...The motor feels like it has more to give on the top end with the addition a few mods...Top speed is kind dissapointing,but where I ride top speed isn't that important (as long as you can go 30mph you are in good shape).
Handling:Better than a utulity quad but not as good as a true sport quad, this thing is a little tipsy, if you are not carefull it will roll ( I learned this the hard way-oops).
Ergonomics: I hate the shift lever,sometimes it is rather hard to change gears (like on a slope going from park, to drive).I really like the push button 4 wheel drive. The seat is good and comfortable.Overall this machine is pretty easy to ride.
I have had it in the dunes and it did decent (this is where I rolled it) The sand in the Oregon dunes is pretty packed down in the winter.I didn't need to put it in 4x4 mode.The stock setting on the suspension are too soft for high speed woopty doos.The shocks bottom out....I didn't have any trouble climbing any of the dunes that I attempted. I even went up one with a real nice lip on top that the 2wd sport models were jumping off.I let off as I crested and got a nice wheelie out of it...Next time I will try to jump it...
The local trails are where I hav put in most of my miles. This is where the wolverine excells (in my opinion).Yep all of my friend except one( he has the peviuosly mentioned arctic Cat) have the sport bikes.They whip up on me an the flat straight stretches.I whip the A.C. When we get to the mudyy more technical parts of the trails I quickly catch back up and sometimes pass them.They think its cheating when I put it in 4x4. oh well...
Utility work: this is still up in the air. I can strap my little 16" chain saw to the stock micro rack...my weed eater/ brusher will also fit back there.One at a time.I sure would like to have a hitch on this thing.I have used it to yard some logs down the hill behind my house.I hate tying the rope to the rack.It pulled the logs like it was no big deal.Well except the one that got snaged up on a stump.It just stood the yamaha right up in the air.

This quad really does not excell at any one thing but it is a good all round machine.Don't knock it till you try it.......

Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Great review 06wolverine. Honest, tells us the good and the not so good, and gives us a referance point to judge it against other quads. Good work.

DesertViper