Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K+N Filter rumor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K+N Filter rumor?

Originally posted by: quicksilver
i think all this stems from a test run on a Duramax diesel truck, the OEM ACDelco filter against a K&N filter and a bunch of other aftermarket filters. The AC filter performed nearly flawlessly, but had the least air flow, while the K&N let the most dirt by but had the best air flow. I remember a post on this a while back on this forum. I guess it makes sense, the finer the filter is, the more dirt it collects, but restricts air flow more.

It's just a judgment call. Whatever you feel comfortable putting on your machine.
That's true quicksilver...the finer the filter material, the better it filters but restricts air flow. In fact, as a filter accumulates more dirt, the more efficient it becomes up to the point to where the filter is so clogged it restricts the flow of air.
I learned the basics of air filtration some years back when I worked for an air filter manufacturing plant that made home air filters. The basics are the same in both home and vehicle applications.
The best filter you could get would be a HEPA type filter but here again, they are more restrictive than a paper type filter media.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah if i was you i would by a Pre-Filter for it. Just to be on the safe side...

Old 01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

well now i figured this was old hat better clean and oil up real good after every ride with k and n filters and no filter will keep out a 100% of particles the point is to keep out the once that are to big for the tolernce of the machines internal parts mainly piston sleeve and rings i have never had a problem i grease the hell out of the seal and then oil the crap out of mine every ride . sand dirt wet riding any of it and have had no problems

Old 01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way I'd fear running my K&N's is if I was going into deep water or through a fine dust storm on a regular basis. The outerwears help tremendously with both situations on the K&N. A lot of naysayers of the cotton filters have little or no experience with them, they just retell horror stories spread locally or on the net. Many times the issue isnt with the filter either, it's the poor fitment of the filter.

I am and will continue to run the K&N's on my bike, I've not been burned by them yet and have little to no fear of it happening either.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

K and N's rock

Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ganggreen
You might aswell run an oily sock.....
Cool, now I know what to do with all those socks of mine that I can't find a match too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone ever REALLY seen a power difference after installation? I do have one in my Wolverine but I noticed no difference after (now it is just a pain in the a$$ to clean & oil!) Just wondering.... and yes I have noticed more gets through a K&N than the stock filter I had in.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: NYRANGERS1973
Has anyone ever REALLY seen a power difference after installation? I do have one in my Wolverine but I noticed no difference after (now it is just a pain in the a$$ to clean & oil!) Just wondering.... and yes I have noticed more gets through a K&N than the stock filter I had in.
Some do and some don't, I definatly felt the diff in my DS650X, they should always be used with a precharger or prefilter.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like K and N realize their filters could use better filtering by offering a pre filter......which defeats the purpose of the K and N filter!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NYRANGERS1973
I bought a pro foam for the desert and K&N for the sand. I notice a HUGE difference. Especially in the top end. But, my motor makes alot of power in the top end. Maybe stockers won't notice a difference. I basically don't run the pro foam anymore. The difference is big enough to re-jet.

Also, if you are running a Pro-design intake, put RTV sealer between the air box and the plate. They will leak for sure if you don't! That seal on the plate does not work on the wavy plastic.

I think the K&N does let the fine stuff through. I don't think the fine stuff will cause significant wear compared the constant beating most of us do to these bikes. It will keep your cylinder nice and honed and your vavles lapped.

Quick Reply: K+N Filter rumor?