Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K+N Filter rumor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K+N Filter rumor?

I heard that K+N filters don't filter good, I mean they flow too much and let dust through!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what my builder told me too

Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Quad Patrol

I run k&n's on 3 of my quads. Never had a problem with anything getting past them. They see everything from sand to dust to creek crossings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

K&N filters dont stop the very fine dust elements. It goes straight through!! Just by design you can see that the filter is nothing more than a thin layer of cotton sandwiched between two layers of wire mesh! You might aswell run an oily sock.....

Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

i used to run one on my raptor. i went to the dunes and ruined my motor. it was blowing smoke like a cummins turbo deisel. it was well oiled and everything. i took it off and you can actually see little air holes in it when you hold it to a light or the sun. id say ok for non dusty non sand conditions though. idk. is it worth the risk for more hp. i dont think so. i now run dual stage foam with two layers of panty hose.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: proudtobeon660
i used to run one on my raptor. i went to the dunes and ruined my motor. it was blowing smoke like a cummins turbo deisel. it was well oiled and everything. i took it off and you can actually see little air holes in it when you hold it to a light or the sun. id say ok for non dusty non sand conditions though. idk. is it worth the risk for more hp. i dont think so. i now run dual stage foam with two layers of panty hose.
Does the filter on the Raptor clamp on or do you grease it to the carb boot because if you grease it then it got in around where it connects to the boot because there prolly wasn't enough grease. You can fix that buy getting a Pro Design Pro Flow kit with an outerwear.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I had a drop in k&n back in the day when my bike was just piped/jetted. I rode in the desert and would get fine dirt inside the boots. Just go with a foam filter, you wont notice any hp difference between foam and paper.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

yes it was the kind that needed greased. i bought the pro design clamp on with the dual stage foam like you suggested after that motor went. no worries anymore

Old 01-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

i think all this stems from a test run on a Duramax diesel truck, the OEM ACDelco filter against a K&N filter and a bunch of other aftermarket filters. The AC filter performed nearly flawlessly, but had the least air flow, while the K&N let the most dirt by but had the best air flow. I remember a post on this a while back on this forum. I guess it makes sense, the finer the filter is, the more dirt it collects, but restricts air flow more.

It's just a judgment call. Whatever you feel comfortable putting on your machine.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you use a precharger with the K&N filter you should have no problems. JMO

Quick Reply: K+N Filter rumor?