Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What Quad next for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Quad next for me?

I've gotten tons of help here before, I respect what you guys think so i figured - who better to ask.

I have a 686 Raptor. It is pretty fast and, have been a lot of fun and, very reliable. All my buddies have Banshee's and, 2 have yfz450's. We dune ride a couple times a month in the summer at Silver Lakes and, that is the main riding ground.

Here is the issue - I have one of the fastest Raptors (if not thee fastest) BUT, I still can't touch my buddies Banshees in the drags. They have as much done as can be without going Cheetah and, KILL me out of the hole no matter what i do. They seem to have 5 or so bikes on me within the first 1/4-1/2 of race. I catch up some by the end but by then it is over. It seems the explosive wheel spin/power they have from the start is overwhelming! Also, any piped or mildly modded 450 is no problem but, some of these guys must have "secrets" done to the 450's because they are almost keeping up with my buddies Banshees! The Banshees my friends have are the fastest ones out there besides the full drag ones w/ ridiculous 8+ swingarms.

Bottom line is i'm kinda sick of the Raptor (heavy, clumsy, too wheelie happy at the drags). I'd prolly have to dump another 3k+ to catch up to the Banshees. I want something different but, really don't want a 1987 technology Banshee (suspension sucks, looks like every other). I like the 450's A LOT but, don't know what kind of money and, work i'd have to put into it to get it as fast as some of the ones at the dunes that hang with the real fast Banshees.

It really sucks but, I guess my only option is a Banshee or, a 450 (really wish there were more). If i went with the 450, what would i have to do to get it to run with or beat the highly modded Shee's? The one thing i really love about my friends Shee's is if you looked at em they look like everyother one out there (besides everything is chrome) until you race em and, get smoked!

Please give me some opinions on what i should do! I'm really torn here.

Also, what would a 04' 686 Sleeper Raptor in mint condition go for? I got 8-10 rides on it over each of the last 2 years i had it.

Thank you very much for any help!

Old 01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

The difference between a Banshee and a Raptor 660 is about 13lbs. If your concerned about weight, the 450 weighs much less.

As far as technology goes, the 450 is lighter and has better suspension than the Banshee or Raptor 660. Mod for mod, the Banshee will always gain more power, especially when ported. Its easy in theory to get mad power out of a Banshee, just plan on buying 2 of everything.

You sound like youve pretty much made up your mind to get a 450. You said you dont want 1987 technology, and that all Banshees look the same.

At the same time, you will spend a ton of money trying to get the 450 to meet or beat the piped and carbed Banshees, let alone stroked hi CC Banshees. If you care to spend $4k, you can put a turbo kit on it, but thats another 20-25 lbs.

My advice is to decide if you want a drag bike(Banshee) or an all around lightweight handling bike with great suspension(450).

Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

The Buddies with the fast Banshees have everything you can possibly do to the motor done (besides Cheetah's) - Larger bores, domes, stage5 porting, reeds, ignitions, stroker cranks, T5 or CPI pipes, bigger carbs, lighter pistons, cool heads = hole deal! And, we are all very good riders that have ridden since about 5yrs old (30 now). So it makes us/them hard to beat!

Yet there are still some 450's out there that stay right with these Banshee's somehow. They look pretty stock except for pipes and, i'm sure there are few with the Cam mods that were all the rave (i've been out of the modding scene for a while) but, there has to be more done. I know 3 of my friends (all brothers) with the wicked Banshees are making 70+ HP and, still get a 450 or 2 slipping right in there with them! That would be what i'd want!

I know none of these Sleeper 450's have Turbos and, i kinda doubt some of the these "Hillrods" have em bored to the moon - cuz they beat on em constantly with 0 problems. Are the 450's that are piped, jetted, filtered and, cam modded this fast?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

I would bet money that those 450 you are talking about are running some kind of nitrous system. Probable the boondockers system. i've seen quite a few of them around and there quick as heck. I run a QuadZilla thats pushing 65 to 70 horse and they will beat me almost every time.
so if your leaning towards a 450 put a bunch of bolt on's on and one of the boondockers systems (runs about 650-800) and you'll give those shee's a run for their money.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty positive they are not or they'd have to have a NOS filling station near by! They were running that good all day race after race! And, those maniancs run all day with out a rest. Go to end, turn around and, line up again! I personaly need to rest a lil and, look at "the scenery"! lol

Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

What is the most power that guys are pulling out of the YFZ? I know my friends will have near 100hp on their Shee's this year and, i want to know if i can make an new 06 YFZ have a chance? What mods do you do to them to get them really moving besides the usual Pipe, jet, airfilter/box mods? Do the fast ones still do the cam retard mod? What else is there that you can do?

The still fresh 686 Rappy is going on the sales block this week, just have to figure what i'll ask for out of it ( i have no clue). I need to make my decision pretty quick on the Shee or YFZ!

If I had the means and, the Money I'd have a YFZ with a hot Banshee motor and, rule every aspect!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Any last words/help. I'm all rev'd up and, want to make a move ASAP! Just don't want to make the wrong one!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

How much of an issues is money, because if you want to beat them or hang with them I may be cheaper to buy a shee that is already built, or just do more to your bike that would probably be the cheapest route. If you said that you start catching up by the end then I don't think it is a power issue. I bet a longer swing arm and a set of skat track hauler paddles would help quite a bit. the haulers will get better traction and the swinger would help keep the front down some. I bet that that would be the cheapest route. when I switched to haulers from geckos I knoticed a pretty good difference.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

CaptBags-I also have a fast 690 raptor and i get beat sometimes by the 450 yamahas but only if they have some internal work done.If the 450 riders were to tell you what mods they have i am sure that you would see that any that beat your 686 would be built more than just cam and pipe.I have been dune riding for a very long time and i have to say that the yfz seems to have been designed very well for performance and it impressed me more than any other quad that i have seen come out over the years.Have you considered adding a nitrous system to your 686 for the more serious racing situations?With the way technology is moving along in the ATV industry it may be wise to hold off a while and see what comes out in the next year or two because with the competitive nature of the industry you can bet the performance levels will increase quite a bit.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i say build some radicle street bike powered quad..

Quick Reply: What Quad next for me?