Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Whats it take to get under 340lbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 10:11 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Whats it take to get under 340lbs

because I like the raptor more. dunno why, but I do. I have now decided to turn it into a drag bike. I like taking on a challenge.

Old 01-24-2006 | 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 135boom
............buy a yfz and replace the stock exhaust with a titanium one, and your there!!!!I highly doubt without spending an obserd amound of money and time that your going to get it down that lite. YOu can do what someone said about taking weight off the already lite frame, and weaken it if you want to. I wouldnt.Why do you want it so light. If you wanted a light machine, why did you get the rappy?
I don't know of any YFZ's that make the power of a Raptor motor when equally modified and quit reading Dirtwheels in English class.

Old 01-24-2006 | 08:25 AM
|
Range Rover

Thank you for some support on that Ubetrun. I hate it when people like that start in with the yfz is the best crap.

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:59 PM
Range Rover

well do u want to keep that motor? because i think alot of power can be gained, and weight lost with a liter motor. if i had a raptor chasis, and the means to put anything in it i would go with one of these choices: a KTM 525 motor, a CR500 2-stroke motor (try service honda at www.servicehonda.com), or you can get an ATK 700cc 2-stroke motor for about 3k from an atk dealer. all of these motors are light weight and extremely powerful. the the least weight, a 250 2-stroke motor would be very light. the service honda trx250r has a 340lb wet weight as it comes from them! or u could always try a 4-cylinder street bike motor, lol. that'd be fast too.

just throwing out some ideas.

Old 01-24-2006 | 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thedieselkid
Thank you for some support on that Ubetrun. I hate it when people like that start in with the yfz is the best crap.

..........Hey man, I dont know what you are talking about. All I was trying to get across is if weight is such an issue, why did you start out with a heavy machine. I wouldnt buy a yfz for drags either, but then again, I wouldnt buy a raptor for that too. I would have bought a banshee, as its MUCH easier to shed weight, and get insane power out of them.
I think you are going to have a real difficult time getting down to even close that weight! That motor is heavy, there is no way around that unless you replcae it.
You can do what the guy said above, but with exceptions. A 250cc 2 stroke is a waste of time. The mx guys are getting like 44-45 horse from them. Why not go with a banshee at that point. Some people sound like they have been successful with liter bike motors, but talk about going to an extreme! And, thats not shedding weight either.
I think a monster of a motor would be that ktm 525, but for drag racing, your still going to get nailed by every body and there brother who is on the tricked out banshee's.

"I don't know of any YFZ's that make the power of a Raptor motor when equally modified and quit reading Dirtwheels in English class. "

As for the comment above, thats a really silly statement, that in no way is true. ESPECIALLY when you look at the power to weight ratios of the two. You have to do some pretty good engine mods on the rappy before you have a better power to weight.

I dont know if your talking about the new 700 or the 'ol 660, and if your talking about the 660 your really out there. A yfz stock is making more power to the tires then the 660 by several horse. If you pipe the two the yfz is still making more power. If you intake and jet them the yfz is still making more power. not untill you get into the motor of the rappy will you start to get more horse then the yfz if your "equally modding" like you said. If your talking about the 700, its not nearly as far off, but more equal as far as power. A pipe, intake, and ecu on the 700 is making 49-50 horse. A pipe, intake, cdi, and jetted yfz is making roughly the same, but with 50 less lbs!!!!!!!!

Look, I dont want to get into this more than I already have. This guy wants to make a drag quad out of his exsisting raptor. I think the raptor is an ok machine to start building on for drags, definatly not my first pick. If your going to do it though, I HIGHLY doubt your ging to get the weight down that far. IF you do, it will be nothing but a straight line machine, as it will be too weak to do anything else. You should probably look into doing a turbo or something which will add more weight, but greatly increase power!

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2006 | 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey 135boom!

Making a strong case again I see. I don't know what these guys have against YFZ's but it sure seems to irritate them to hear the facts. Those Banshee's better watch out though. DS's will be in the high 3's by April in 300'.

Later

Old 01-24-2006 | 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 135boom
Originally posted by: thedieselkidThank you for some support on that Ubetrun. I hate it when people like that start in with the yfz is the best crap.
..........Hey man, I dont know what you are talking about. All I was trying to get across is if weight is such an issue, why did you start out with a heavy machine. I wouldnt buy a yfz for drags either, but then again, I wouldnt buy a raptor for that too. I would have bought a banshee, as its MUCH easier to shed weight, and get insane power out of them. I think you are going to have a real difficult time getting down to even close that weight! That motor is heavy, there is no way around that unless you replcae it. You can do what the guy said above, but with exceptions. A 250cc 2 stroke is a waste of time. The mx guys are getting like 44-45 horse from them. Why not go with a banshee at that point. Some people sound like they have been successful with liter bike motors, but talk about going to an extreme! And, thats not shedding weight either. I think a monster of a motor would be that ktm 525, but for drag racing, your still going to get nailed by every body and there brother who is on the tricked out banshee's."I don't know of any YFZ's that make the power of a Raptor motor when equally modified and quit reading Dirtwheels in English class. " As for the comment above, thats a really silly statement, that in no way is true. ESPECIALLY when you look at the power to weight ratios of the two. You have to do some pretty good engine mods on the rappy before you have a better power to weight. I dont know if your talking about the new 700 or the 'ol 660, and if your talking about the 660 your really out there. A yfz stock is making more power to the tires then the 660 by several horse. If you pipe the two the yfz is still making more power. If you intake and jet them the yfz is still making more power. not untill you get into the motor of the rappy will you start to get more horse then the yfz if your "equally modding" like you said. If your talking about the 700, its not nearly as far off, but more equal as far as power. A pipe, intake, and ecu on the 700 is making 49-50 horse. A pipe, intake, cdi, and jetted yfz is making roughly the same, but with 50 less lbs!!!!!!!! Look, I dont want to get into this more than I already have. This guy wants to make a drag quad out of his exsisting raptor. I think the raptor is an ok machine to start building on for drags, definatly not my first pick. If your going to do it though, I HIGHLY doubt your ging to get the weight down that far. IF you do, it will be nothing but a straight line machine, as it will be too weak to do anything else. You should probably look into doing a turbo or something which will add more weight, but greatly increase power! Good luck!

Your sentences are longer but your spelling and punctuation still suck.

Anyone can build a fast Banshee, not much challenge left in that one. You are not thinking at the same level of competition, this is not two buddies racing down a dirt road. These are straight line drag 4 strokes burning alcohol and nitromethane. If you think it's easy to build a stock framed normally aspirated YFZ that can run with my Raptor, you got 6 weeks to do it and still make Sicily. Until you prove your "theories" on a track, I'm not going to waste any more time explaining this.

Old 01-24-2006 | 10:58 PM
|
Range Rover

got alot done today on my raptor. I will post pics here in a little bit. Im now starting to see where things can be ground on. I would really like to make it to sicily but my bike won't be done. I might be able to get it done by then, but I can't ride until the middle of may. I might make a new frame out of all chromolly. Just currious do you know which sensors and switches I can get rid of. I really want to get my wiring harness down to the bare essentials, but that is mostly just to get rid of the clutter and make it look better.

Old 01-25-2006 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

Originally posted by: thedieselkid
got alot done today on my raptor. I will post pics here in a little bit. Im now starting to see where things can be ground on. I would really like to make it to sicily but my bike won't be done. I might be able to get it done by then, but I can't ride until the middle of may. I might make a new frame out of all chromolly. Just currious do you know which sensors and switches I can get rid of. I really want to get my wiring harness down to the bare essentials, but that is mostly just to get rid of the clutter and make it look better.
You should come to Sicily even if you don't have your quad finished. I went to the first Clash with just a pipe and a filter, and had fun. I went to the summer Clash and rode my wife's quad. It is worth going just to watch and hang out and have fun.

Oh and 135boom...I have a Raptor, YFZ and a Banshee. The Raptor has the most money in it and is the fastest. The Yfz and Banshee are play bikes. You may think I am crazy to build up the Raptor into a beast, I say...that I'm just having fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2006 | 01:47 PM
|
Range Rover

I would really like to go, but I wouldn't be able to ride anything because i just recently had shoulder surgery, and I just dont think it would be the same with out riding. I am making progress though I am going to pull the motor out today, and thats the last big thing to take out. I am almost done taking the bike down to the bare frame. I was suprised how quick it was. I still got to get pictures up. I don't have a camera so I have to talk my sister into taking more pictures and putting them on the computer for me.

Quick Reply: Whats it take to get under 340lbs