Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Say goodbye to ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are checks and balances, but Clinton's Land grab shows that there are ways to work around the system and do things without Congress or the peoples' approval.

If you think being concerned for our sport (as well as a plethora of other issues such as gasoline and engergy) are "absurd scare tactics" you must not have researched Al Gore's views or what he's written.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

do u seriously think that the president will end atving. its not like it is a major issue in his campaign. and if they do, they have no excuse to not outlaw weed wackers, leave blowers, chainsaws and such. cause they can't do anything about atvs being dangerous if you already have them. the only thing that is a real threat is polution. being in the east coast i dont think we have to worry about it as much as california persay but then that would be more up to sate government. i dont know. but i dont think the president would be able to outlaw atvs all together

Old 11-08-2000, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Even if gore does become president and outlaws 2-strokes, its going to take at least 30 years to get rid of them... look at 3-wheelers they were banned YEARS ago and I still see tons of them floating around. The atv companies are ALL making more and more 4-strokes, now they are making wheelers that are more like a "3-stroke" which sounds good to me, the reliabilty of a 4-stroke and a little pinch of the 2-stroke ummph, my vote is for niether, one is a dumba$$ one wants to outlaw 2strokes,.... electoral votes matter, you do not have a say AT ALL in who becomes president, so why does it matter? Ill say it again your vote does NOT count, face the facts or get da h#ll outtttta dodge..

Old 11-09-2000, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

You're right, Mr Gore does not plan to take away your atv. That is not the issue.

It is his policy to CLOSE the areas you like to ride your ATV. Tell me, what good is your ATV if you have no where to ride it? If you think this is only happening in California, you are wrong.

Old 11-09-2000, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

You are dead wrong.

The electoral college is chosen based on the popular vote of the people mostly on a state by state basis. If you don't think your vote counts, just look to Florida. It is possible (although unlikely) that a single vote could determine who the presidency goes to - Your comment was completely ignorant. Educate yourself on the system before telling us how it works.

Outlawing 2 strokes is inevitable - it's gonna happen, just a matter of time. They will not take your 2 stroke away, but they will stop the manufacture of new models and take away your right to ride it on public lands. This is process has already begun on land and water. Think about it.

But this is not the issue. Land closure is. One candidate's policy is to close public lands to motorized traffic, using the environment as his weapon.

That's only one of a plethora of issues that Gore stands on the wrong side of.

It truly saddens me that the country can be so uneducated as to even make this a close race.

Old 11-09-2000, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer

Its all about who is on your side. I look at both of these - and although their minds are not on abolishing ATV's - the whole group of them are always after one agenda. And slowly, they take away the right for us to ride around in open areas - Ive lived in CA for years - and I remember the races that old timers used to have in the areas around L.A. - Elsinore, CA - Temecula, and our beautiful deserts ! Now only a small part of deserts are left - and they want to take that - Or should I say - they already took half of GLAMIS.. I hope they overturn this with the GOP in office now.
But remember guys - whos' on your side. THey might be the least of 2 evils -but theres always one guy that is NOT on your side. Want to keep your cars - ATV's - Watercraft - OffRoad vehicles - RV's and enjoy the open roads - then lets hope that fool Gore gets out of the way and starts packing his bags!

Old 11-09-2000, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

86, I'm not dead wrong. If one can have the popular vote and still lose the presidency due to the electoral votes.....well, you do the math. Now since I'm FOR Bush the electoral votes will definitely be in my favor. Did I vote this election for the president? NO! Why? Because I'm in Texas and I knew without a doubt that Bush would carry Texas. Therefore there was no need for me to cast a vote. Now if electoral votes were abolished then there would be a need for me to cast a vote. And I would also think that there would be a higher voter turn out each election.

To others: Gore and ATV's...Don't you get it, if public riding areas are taken away from us what good is your atv? Would it end up sitting in the garage like mine would? I don't know about you, but my back yard isn't large enough to go riding my atv.

Old 11-09-2000, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Your vote does count. You didn't vote because you "just knew" Bush would carry Texas. Lame excuse. What about other elections? All 435 members of the house were up for re-election. We had a big senate race here in Minnesota. Rod Grams, the incumbant, who was a big supporter of motorized recreation did not win. That should be concerning to us all. After the Clinton administration decided to ban snowmobiles from Yellowstone who was it that stood up and said "Wait a minute here." It was senators from South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana etc. And guess what the NPS backed off. What about state legislators? District Judges? All of the people in these positions affect our lives and they are decided by popular vote. I don't know about Texas but I can tell you that there were a lot of tight races up here in Minnesota. A person's vote definitely counted.

And in the case of the presidency I still say popular vote does count. Bush or Gore, whoever wins, has to deal with the fact that nearly half the nation did not vote for them. Remember Clinton and his universal health care scheme? Clinton won the presidency, had a democratic congress, yet universal health died on vine. Clinton won the 92 election with like 40 some percent of vote. That means there were a hell of a lot of people in this country who didn't agree with his politics and congress knew it and they weren't going to touch Clinton with a 10 foot pole.

Bush and Gore are in the same boat. Half the country did not vote for one of them. They have a congress that is damn near evenly split between parties and in most cases congressional races were narrowly won as well.

You vote does count - get out and vote.

Old 11-09-2000, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I was speaking specifically of the presidential election, popular votes and electoral votes. I was NOT addressing ANY of the other elections.

Old 11-09-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

As most of as already know there has been a lot of crying about the ballots for Palm Beach County, stating many mistakenly voted for Pat instead of Gore. Well I just went to www.cnn.com and they had a picture of the ballot. If one is so stupid they can't follow the little arrow they don't need to be voting.

Bush --> 0
0 <--- Pat
Gore --> 0

That's the way the ballot looks

Quick Reply: Say goodbye to ATV's