Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yfz Info Needed.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yfz Info Needed.....

I am planning on buying a yfz that is down the road from me. I was wondering what the first year of the yfz was? Is there any problems I should look for on the 2003's? What is the best pipe? Are they good at wheelies compared to the 400ex or raptor?

Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

You definately want to watch out for the 03 edition, as there wasnt one! 2004 was the first year. There where no major problems. One thing that needs to be replaced though is a little plastic cap that acts as a decompression plug. It has fallen out on bikes and oil will go everywhere. There are billet replacements though, that actually utilize the factory retaining screw so that, that wont happen! Pipes are all up to you. I have run the procircuit titanium-4 and the white brothers carbon pro II. Love them both. The PC is a topend pipe, while the WB is a more low-mid pipe. HMF's are popular for a good looking, LOUD, low-mid pipe. GYTR's make decent power, but almost everything makes better power than it.
My current mods, geared up one tooth on front can wheelie ALL DAY LONG in 5th gear. You have to initiate it though. Yamaha did this on purpose, so when you come out of the gate, its not up in your face.
It wont wheelie like a raptor will. The raptor wheelies too much!
Good luck!

Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, where can I find the decompression plug and the other parts need to make it break-free?

Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

what is the first year that the yfz450 had the parking brake where you can just flip the lil thing around? The yfz i am looking at, the guy doesnt know what year it is, he said it was 2003 but there is not 03 so how can i tell the difference between the years of the yfz? does it say anywhere on the frame?

Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

All of the YFZ models have the flip park break that you are talking about. The only major difference between the 04 and 05 is they have different decals, and the suspension is a little softer. I would say your friend bought it in 03 in which it was an 04 model but he thought it was just an 03 because that was the year he purchased it in. As for pipes in my opinion all pipes are within 2 hp from one another. And for the Wheelies it is an ok wheelie machine but compared to the raptor it doesn't do to well. The reason being the front end (Like 135 BOOM said is made for the track not for Wheelies)... Mace

Old 01-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, 2004 was the first year. You can get the billet plug mentioned above at all things moto and thumper talk among other places.

As far as pipes go, you will see a sufficient gain with almost any pipe.
What are you looking for quiet with power? Just power and lots of noise??

I personally have the DR D installed on mine, and have been quite happy with it. Lots of power, and it is also quiet (which we all should be concerned with these days).

Feel free to look at my pics to see what it looks like mounted.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

K Thanks, I just registered on thumpertalk a while back and put my 400ex up for sale and I got 2 replies from guys named Miguel Johson and Wewe Smith or something like that. Ever heard of em? They both sound kinda weird, saying that they are getting owed money from the state and its like 9800 and they are just gonna ship it to us and then we take out the difference of the quad and shipping and send it all back to him. Sounds kinda weird...

Old 01-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpeedDemon13
K Thanks, I just registered on thumpertalk a while back and put my 400ex up for sale and I got 2 replies from guys named Miguel Johson and Wewe Smith or something like that. Ever heard of em? They both sound kinda weird, saying that they are getting owed money from the state and its like 9800 and they are just gonna ship it to us and then we take out the difference of the quad and shipping and send it all back to him. Sounds kinda weird...
Don't do it. Its a scam.
Only accept cash from someone in person.
Its a long story, but basically just ignore them.